Chapter 9

Back at Blakes estate, Dara and Dexter were settling in. It's been two days. The house was fit for a king. But it was full of security. And all came highly trained and ready to battle. Ty told Dexter he could share his room if he wanted, since they didn't sleep hardly. Dexter liked that idea. Dara took her own guest room. It was just down the hall from Ty and Dexter. Blake's was across the hall from hers. But she hated the thought of seeing him every morning. He was hiding something from her. And she felt it.

Marissa agreed to come pick Dara up for work. And they made a game plan that Ty would stay with Dexter at school in his class rooms and at lunch. If it was unbearable they would pull him from school. For now he would have a personal body guard at school and Paul would stay with Dara. She was okay with that. She wasn't even sure Paul knew anything. But he knew more than he would tell.

Dara got dressed in some silk shorts and a white T-shirt that hugged her body. Marissa and Ty had gone shopping along with Dexter, before they came to Blake's. Paul brought Dara back on his own. She wanted to say goodnight to Dexter so she left her room and walked down the hall. He wasn't in the room but she heard him laughing. It was late and he should've been in bed.

She walked downstairs to see everyone in the kitchen drinking water and talking all together. Marissa seen Dara and her face dropped. Dexter also seen Dara.

"Oh hey D, want to join us," he asked. She shook her head.

"Shouldn't you be in bed Dex you have school in the morning and it's already past midnight," she said. He nods.

"Yeah you're right I should be going to bed," he said. He looked at everyone.

"I'll be up in a minute bud," Ty said. Dexter nods and runs upstairs.

"Look I really appreciate this I do, but Dexter is twelve and he still has a strict bedtime for now. No later then eleven please," she said. Ty nods.

"Of course, it was my fault he wanted to hear stories about us, we got carried away," he spoke. Taking blame.

Blake walked over to the sink. His white shirt hugging his body. And he had grey sweats on with the ties in front. Ty and Marissa excused themselves to head upstairs and say goodnight to Dexter. Paul excused himself to the outside. Leaving Dara and Blake alone. He didn't want to make things worse and she wanted to trust him but things weren't going to well. She clears her throat. And he spins on his heels.

"Look, my guys aren't the bad guy okay, I get that you are mad at me, I guess I would be too, but please don't blame them, they are good guys," he spoke. She nods. Crossing her arms.

"No I don't blame them for anything, you on the other hand, I'm not sure, I want to believe in you but you've not been truthful, so thanks for hosting us, but after this is over I'm resigning my position at the firm," she said turning to walk away. But Blake didn't want her to leave it that way.

"Dara wait," he said. She sighs and turns on her heels. He blows in frustration.

"You are so frustrating, but I will tell you one thing I know," he said. She stepped closer. As he stepped close 

"I know that I care what happens to you, and Dexter, I can tell you you one more thing I know, I won't stop protecting you from what's happening no matter if you trust me or not, you don't need to, I will keep my promise to protect you and I promised myself that, no matter what you and Dexter will never be harmed and I will hold my end," he said as he brushed past her. Paul was watching from the hall.

She stood in silence for a moment before taking a deep breath that she had been keeping in. She was happy but also confused. Though he was going to protect her and Dexter he was still hiding something.  Paul walked in on her quite time. She turned to see who it was and sighed when she realized it was just Paul.

"He means it, he really cares for you both, and we all do, but he really does, please don't tell him I told you this, but he lost his mother when he was ten, his father was raising him. And he made him take Martial arts classes and weight lifting, to defend himself," he said. She looked down. So he knew what loosing a parent was like.

"How did it happen," she asked.

"It was a mugging, she was shot in front of him, he blamed himself, but he was only ten so, he couldn't do anything to stop him, they caught the guy but it still hurt them to think that his mother was gone, you both lost someone, but he seen his mother murdered, so cut him some slack," he said as he turned to walk out.

"Paul, you seem familiar, have we met before," she asked. Just realizing he looks very familiar.

"No," he said before walking out.

The night carried on. And she was not happy about what she heard but she couldn't shake the feeling that Maybe Blake was only this way because of what he went through as a kid. It was possible. And she felt sorry for him. She wanted to take back what she said about leaving the firm that was anger talking. She loved it there.

Sleep came but it didn't seem long. She had a few hours of sleep but lacked rest. She had tossed a few times during the night. She got up dragging her feet out of bed. She hurried to get dressed. She had showered the night before. She dressed in a pair of dark denims and a white tshirt with a black leather jacket. Ty and Marissa knew her style better than anyone at this point. She brushed her hair out and then walked out into the hall. It was quite. But she could hear Dexter downstairs. And Ty as well. The doorbell rang. So she walks downstairs and sees Ty opening the door Marissa steps in giving Ty a small kiss and he shuts the door.

Dara walks into the kitchen where Dexter was sitting with Paul. Ty and Marissa walks in too. Breakfast was made, and it looks like Paul made it. It smelled great. Western omelets, oatmeal and toast.

"This looks great hey has anyone seen Blake," Dara asked taking a plate with food.

"He isn't coming in today, he said for you to go ahead and fill in for him, everyone at the office knows you'll be in charge today, and Paul will be with you all day," Marissa said.

"He's not working," Dara said.

"He said something about taking a couple of days, he needs some space to think."