Chapter 5: Nocturne

Liana rides her horse to the cemetery to visit her parents grave

Liana rides her horse to the cemetery to visit her parents grave. Liana brings fresh flowers for them. Liana finds an envelope on the grave stone addressed to her. Liana hears a noise and says, "Hello? Someone there?" Liana hears a howl and sees someone running into the woods. Liana frowns wondering who sent this.

 Liana frowns wondering who sent this

The next day at school, Liana shows Chloe and Pete the letter that she found

The next day at school, Liana shows Chloe and Pete the letter that she found. Chloe says, "Uh, the sentiment's nice, but the fact that you found this in a graveyard seems a little 'Amityville.'" Liana says, "I mean it kind of is, but it's sweet. I haven't had a love letter since the third grade. It seems like a lost art." Chloe says, "Not true, not true. This morning in trig, I intercepted a note from a wrestler to a cheerleader. It wasn't exactly poetic but, um, he definitely got his point across." Pete says, "Who do you think wrote it?" Liana says, "I have no idea." Clark comes and says, "Hey, guys. So what's goin' on?" Chloe smiles and says, "Liana has a secret admirer." Liana sits on the couch and says, "It's nothing." Chloe says, "What do you mean, nothing? What happened to, uh, sweet?" Pete says, "Just let the boy read it." Pete gives the letter to Clark and he says, "It's a little mushy." Liana says, "I almost forgot. Clark Kent, the man of steel. I'll see you guys later." Chloe and Pete both say, "Bye." Later, Liana's working at the Talon. Liana goes around the counter to face Lex and he holds up the envelope and Liana says, "That's kind of personal. Go ahead and read it. You'll probably agree with Clark that it's sappy." Lex reads it and says, "The, uh, imagery's a little naive but the meter's actually quite sophisticated. Who wrote this?" Liana says, "I don't know. Either an admirer or a psychopath depending on who you ask." Lex says, "That had a little edge to it. Is everything alright?" Liana says, "Everyone's giving me a hard time about the poem. I guess I'm just a little defensive." Lex quotes a quote "Take me to you, imprison me. For I never shall be free nor ever chaste except you ravish me." Liana smiles and says, "John Donne. He's one of my favorites." Lex says, "If I didn't know better, I'd say I found your Achilles' heel." Liana says, "I didn't realize you were so into poetry." Lex says, "Anyone who doesn't appreciate poetry doesn't understand that it's all about seduction." Liana looks behind Lex and sees Clark. Lex also turns around to see Clark. Liana says, "it's nice some people appreciate artistic expression." Lex hands Liana the letter back and Lex says, "It kind of, uh, raises the bar for any other contenders doesn't it, Clark?" Lex leaves and Clark walks over to stand in front of Liana and says, "Liana, I know things aren't so great between us right now." Liana says, "I'm fine, Clark." As Liana walks away from Clark, he walks with her and says, "Liana, I want to apologize for raggin' on the poem." Liana says, "Guess poetry's not for everybody." Clark says, "I guess I was just surprised that you would show Pete and Chloe and not show it to me." Liana says, "You can't expect me to share everything with you. Their my friends and me and you aren't really on good terms." Clark sighs and nods and says, "Don't you think it's weird? This guy's sneakin' around watching you." Liana says, "Come on, Clark. Tell me you've never watched somebody from afar." Later, Liana goes to the cemetery to wait for her secret admirer, but accidently falls asleep. Liana wakes up and sighs and looks at her watch on her wrist. Liana sighs and says, "What am I doing? This is crazy." Liana feels a jacket on her and turns to see a boy and he runs away and Liana says, "Wait, I got your other poem. It was beautiful." The boy stops and turns around and says, "You really think so?" Liana smiles and nods. Liana looks on the ground to find another letter. Liana softly says, "What's your name?" The boy says, "Byron." Liana smiles and says, "Like the poet?" Byron says, "Like my great-uncle. But there's nothing poetic about him." Liana says, "Why do you leave me those poems?" Liana slowly walks to him and Byron says, "Because you inspire me." Liana turns on her flash light to see him more clearly and he says, "No, don't." Clark comes and says, "Get away from her." Liana says, "Clark!" Byron runs and trips over a grave stone. Liana runs over to him and says, "Oh, my God!" Byron groans and Liana says, "Are you okay?" Byron says, "Yes, I'm fine." Byron goes to touch the back of his head and Liana sees blood. Byron leans back and closes his eyes. Later, they take him to the Talon and Liana gives him ice for his head. Byron says, "I can't believe I passed out." Clark says, "I'm sorry I scared you." Byron says, "It's okay, Clark. You were protecting a beautiful young lady. It was chivalrous. You're lucky to have a boyfriend who cares so much about you." Liana shakes her head and says, "Clark's just a friend, but I do have a boyfriend. Although, Clark can be overprotective." Byron looks at Liana with soft eyes and says, "If I could write the beauty of your eyes... and number all your graces' the age to come would say this poet lies. Such heavenly touches ne'er touched earthly faces." Liana softly smiles and says, "That was beautiful." Clark says, "Which poet wrote that?" Byron says, "Shakespeare." Liana says, "I can't imagine being homeschooled and never seeing anybody." Byron says, "You don't miss what you never had." Clark says, "It seems like you don't get out much. Uh, are your parents pretty strict?" Byron says, "They only want what's best for me." They hear a car approaching and Liana says, "Oh, my God. That's our milk delivery." Byron jumps up and says, "What time is it?" Clark says, "Quarter to 5:00." Byron says, "If my parents wake up..." Byron walks out the door with Liana and Clark behind him. They get into the car to take Byron home. They arrive and Clark says, "Do you want us to come in and tell your parents what happened?" Byron says, "No, I'll be fine." Liana and Clark and watch Byron's dad have a gun pointed at Byron. They get out the car and run to Bryon and Clark says, "Byron." Byron says, "Go away." Byron's dad points the gun at them and says, "I'd better not catch you around my son again. Get out before I shoot you for trespassing." Liana and Clark both leave. Soon, Clark and Liana walk into his house to see his parents. Mr. Kent says, "Clark? Liana, have you two been out all night?" Clark says, "No, it's not what you think. Um, we met this kid and we think that his parents are abusing him."