Chapter 12: Insurgence

Liana's in her room doing homework, when her sister walks in

Liana's in her room doing homework, when her sister walks in. Liana looks up and says, "Wow, you look very beautiful." Lana smiles and says, "You don't think it's too much?" Liana says, "No, it just shows who you are as a person." Lana says, "It kind of feels like I'm auditioning. What if she votes me off the island?" Liana says, "Lana, anyone who gets to know you realizes how special you are." Lana smiles and says, "Thanks, Liana. Although, I do wish you were coming with me." Liana sighs and says, "I'm not Henry's daughter. It would feel weird if I went, like I don't belong." Lana says, "You know even though we're half sisters, you'll always be my whole sister no matter what anybody says." Liana softly smiles and nods. Later, Lana meets with the Small's. Lana nervously says, "Uh, more coffee?" Mrs. Small says, "Henry, why don't you get it? Give Lana and I a chance to get a word in." Henry says, "Sure, I'll be right back." Mrs. Small says, "This really is a cute place." Lana smiles and says, "Yeah, my sister worked very hard to get this way. Thank you for agreeing to meet with me. I know it can't be easy for you." Mrs. Small says, "Lana, you seem like a very together young woman which is why I feel I can be completely candid with you. I don't want you getting too close to Henry." Lana slightly frowns and says, "Mrs. Small, I-I don't know what you think, but I'm not trying to interfere with your family." Mrs. Small says, "That's not what I'm worried about. Lana, when I married Henry he was the editor of the Law Review. He was gonna run for Congress. Now he runs a law practice for lost causes out of our living room." Lana says, "He believes in what he's doing." Mrs. Small says, "Yeah, until it gets too difficult or he loses interest. Which he always does." Lana softly says, "You think he'll lose interest in me." Mrs. Small says, "Henry has two children in boarding school. He never calls them. Even when their home he doesn't have time for them. Or anyone else." Lana says, "Why are you telling me this?" Mrs. Small says, "I'm trying to do you a favor. I do not want to see you get hurt the next time Henry's priorities suddenly change." Henry comes back and says, "So... what have you two ladies been talking about?" Lana softly smiles at him. After the meeting with Mrs. Small, Lana goes to her sister's room and flops on her bed and sighs. Liana says, "I'm guessing the meeting didn't go too well?" Lana says, "Yeah. She told me if I get too close to Henry he will lose interest in me." Liana says, "Are you sure she's not the one pushing out his life?" Lana says, "I was thinking that, but she said she doesn't want to see me hurt. I mean, she said he has two other children and he neglects them. I just don't want that to happen to me." Liana brings her sister in her arms and says, "Just get to know Henry more and if he loses interest it's his lost, because he'll lose an incredible daughter who took the time to get to know her biological father." Lana smiles and says, "Yeah, I guess I shouldn't worry too much about what she said." Liana says, "Yeah." Lana smiles and lays on her sister's shoulder and sighs in content.