Chapter 13: Leaving everything

Eventhough Wen Kexing had once rideen on horses since that very last battle; he still felt his adrenaline rising. He kicked the horse gently using his boots when he got up. Startled, the creature took a few steps forward, then relaxed into a steady walk. It was a rocking motion, yet difficult to balance. The road had started to become bumpier and bumpier; and the brown horse suddenly let out a fluttering noise. Wen Kexing flinched, tightening the grip to the handle sticking in front of him. Holding it tightly with both of his hands, he was trying his best to control his fear. The feeling of trying not to fall of the horse was too overwhelming to bear. At each and every step, he was jolted in the danger of being thrown off without him even noticing, and roll down on the muddy ground. But he held himself to the horse and muttered under his breath. 'I can do it! I'm sure that I can do it!'

Then the horse's ears suddenly went up. It went faster, and suddenly the bumping was gone. It was now just a smooth, rocking motion. The only sound Wen Kexing could hear right now is the gentle wind brushing his hair and the sound of pounding hooves. He wrapped both of his hands more firmly around the handle and a smile finally formed on his face. The horse then fastened its pace; running at what seemed like a hundred metres per second. It abruptly stopped when a group of men with heavy armor rushed towards their direction, nearly making Wen Kexing jumped out of shock. He looked at the faces again briefly and clearly; it was those Jin Dynasty dogs!

"Isn't this... Concubine Wen?" Bi Xingming clicked his tongue, looking at the palm of his right hand and brushing the "dust" off from it. "Following and stalking us all this time, what is your purpose?"

"You don't have the right to ask me that!" Wen Kexing raised his head, making his profile looked a lot more menacing and arrogant. "Head General Bi, I didn't know that a gentleman like you could be a pathological liar."

"Gentleman? Concubine Wen, is that supposed to be a joke?" Bi Xingming laughed. He then narrowed his eyes. "Brothers, let's kill him and present his head to His Majesty!" he pointed at him.

"Pftt, you wish."

They all got down from their horses, drew their swords out; and charged towards him. Wen Kexing took his sword out from the scabbard and took down a soldier, without hesitation, sliced his neck off. The bodyless head rolled on the ground. This, of course made those soldiers and their general, even more enraged. They continued attacking him. Wen Kexing dodged their every move skillfully and elegantly; almost making it feeling like he was actually dancing; not fighting for his survival.

But what he didn't know was, an arrow shot to one of his legs. He grimaced and fell to the ground with the wounded leg facing the ground, all while holding the sword with all his might. Those ruthless soldiers were about to chop him down into pieces; but Bi Xingming raised his hand out of a sudden to stop them. Wen Kexing was holding on to his sword; his energy being all exhausted already. His head felt light and the entire world was spinning like crazy. He couldn't do all of this anymore. Bi Xingming sealed his acupuncture points and forcedfully held his chin so close to him; Wen Kexing could feel his hot breath. "Killing you that fast isn't going to be fun... Guess what we're going to do next?"

"K-kill m-me if you want! I'm never going to serve the Jin Dynasty! N-not even in my next life!"

"Oh, really? Let's see about that."

¤¤¤¤¤
Wen Kexing's hands were tied with a rope, and it was attached to Bi Xingming's horse's back. The horse was galloping and he too, followed its every move; whether walking on the muddy ground or the sharp pebblestones. His boots had been taken off by those heartless people. The mud sometimes splattered on his face and satin clothing, making his pretty face no longer that appealing. Beads of cold sweat dripped from his forehead; the ground felt like it was murdering his soft skin on his feet. But he didn't care about all those anymore. He just wanted to die now, having failed the most important mission.

He lowered his head, not knowing what do next. The feeling of him not coming home ever again to meet his parents was just too heartbreaking. And, aside from that, how about him?

The one who was hoping for him to come back safely right now?

Wen Kexing smiled bitterly; the thought of never seeing that dumb general's face again excited him. But he was not just any ordinary person in his heart. He might be annoying and shameless sometimes; but he was really thoughtful and cared for him a lot. He didn't even cared for his own life. This was the only way to repay him now.

May he... find someone better than him in the future.