Chapter 19: The underworld

Wen Kexing opened his eyes slowly and found himself in a place that he'd never been before. He glanced around the place; the air was damp, and he could sense that this place was full of misery and pain. There were heads and other body parts rolling all over on the ground, screams and terrified shoutings in all directions, the stench of blood provoking the air. This place was entirely red; and before he knew it, a ghostly figure dragged him into a room. Wen Kexing couldn't do anything; his steps felt very light. Finally, the figure stopped and saluted with his fists. "Yan Wang."

Wen Kexing's ears twitched. Yan Wang? The king of the underworld? So the legends were true... He looked up at the figure and lowered his head seeing his face. He then gulped and tried to swallow the lump in his throat. Will he stay here for the rest of his life? Or will he be sent to heaven? Or perhaps another reincarnation? I mean, he did do good deeds for most of his life, but now thinking about it, he'd also killed lots of people. Yan Wang was sitting on his throne, his brows furrowed, and the guard that was with him just now stood beside him. What was his decision? Why does it take him so long? Lots of question appeared in Wen Kexing's head. Maybe I will stay here forever...

Yan Wang waves his hand at the guard, mumbling. "Lock him in the underground prison."

"Yes."

Wen Kexing was still trying to figure and sum up whats going on. He didn't  know that there was a punishment locking people in the underground prison in the underworld? They had never recorded those in history books before...

Then Wen Kexing slapped his forehead. Of course there are no records in books; some people who came here would reincarnate; but before that, they have to drink the soup that makes them forget all of the happenings in their past life. What is their purpose of locking him there?

Wen Kexing didn't defend himself nor tried to escape the guard's grasp. Maybe there's an explanation for all of this, he thought. Yan Wang, the wise king of hell, wouldn't just make random decisions for the people who ended up here. The guard handcuffed both of his hands and legs with the same metal chains that tied him up to his death last time. Apparently, Zhou Zishu freed him out of them for nothing...

The guard escorted him to his cell and locked him in there. It was dark; with only a small candle as a source of light. Wen Kexing sat on the ground and sighed, thinking about why he was so unlucky all his life... first, forced marriage with hot-headed dumb general, then...

Aish why am I thinking about him?

He looked at the slowly dimming white candle. A person who has experienced darkness for half of his life, met the only light he could have ever known. What would happen if his light died out?

Then wouldn't his life be full of darkness again?

He couldn't help but think about what Zhou Zishu is doing right now; will he mourn for the loss of his beloved one forever? Or quickly forget about it and drench himself in happiness and joy? Wen Kexing hoped that he would forget about him soon, there's still more to do in Zhou Zishu's long way up ahead.

♡♡♡♡♡
Zhou Zishu has been locking himself up in his room for days. No one was allowed to see him during his confinement. He didn't even bother to eat, drink or sleep. Duan Pengju had persuaded him to at least eat something, but Zhou Zishu ignored him. He touched the sleeping beauty's face in the coffin, then smiled bitterly. "A-Xing, when will you wake up?"

No replies. The ice surrounding Wen Kexing's body had started to melt, and Zhou Zishu took some ice from the other side of the room. Luckily, they still haven't melted yet... He asked Duan Pengju to get ice for him everyday, and Duan Pengju will always give him a bottle of water and some bread. Now it was day 4, and he still hasn't touched any of them yet. He didn't have the appetite to do so anyway.

"Head General Zhou!" A guard from outside knocked the wooden door. "The Emperor wishes to see you."

"Tell His Majesty that I don't want to see anybody right now." Zhou Zishu said as he placed a block of ice beside Wen Kexing's wrists. "Stop bugging me."

"Head General Zhou, still mourning for your dead wife?"

Zhou Zishu recognized the person's voice. He was literally the last person he wanted and wished to see; just by seeing his face makes him mad as hell. He turned to face the person and he was just whom he had thought it was...

Scorpion king, Xie Wang.

This was the thing that he didn't understand from the Tang Dynasty. Why would the dynasty hire an assassination organization to work for them? They called themselves a righteous dynasty? What would the people say about it if they know about it? Boos and insults, of course, thats a thing.

Xie Wang barged through the windows and his upper lips curled into a sneer.

"Head General Zhou, long time no see."