Chapter 23: I'll definitely head back home

Zhou Zishu had spent some time with his new servant, Liang Jiuxiao. He learned that he wasn't actually that bad at all. He could be clumsy and a bit of an imbecile sometimes; but there was nothing else to complain to other than those. He was also very smart and was an expert in philosophies; so they held debates each time they disagreed in something. Whether it was about why some people deserved to be forgiven if they were once a bad person or not; they were some pretty controversial topics. Jiuxiao nagged and begged him for letting him win while they were playing xiangqi*, but of course; Zhou Zishu with his stubborn and tough attitude, wouldn't give in that easily. While Liang Jiuxiao was gazing dreamily at Zhou Zishu's eyes, Zhou Zishu appeared to be distracted and didn't seem to be focusing on the game.

"Zishu ge, why do you look so distracted? What's bothering you?" Jiuxiao asked while taking a sip of hot tea in the small cup in front of him.

Zhou Zishu finally placed a piece of his black chessman on the board after some consideration. "I'm thinking about... why the Jin Dynasty didn't decide to disturb the Tang Dynasty for a month or so... This is very unusual and doesn't seem like their normal b*tchy mannerism.."

"But isn't that great Zishu ge? Maybe they actually reconciled with us and regretted their past actions?"

Zhou Zishu shook his head. "Jiuxiao, things aren't that easy as you thought they were.. Those Jin Dynasty dogs must have had something up their sleeves."

Jiuxiao let out a soft "Oh", but then he asked again. "But what if they were good people and some evil people just decided to reverse the fact?"

Zhou Zishu smiled, and pinched his nose gently. Jiuxiao was like a little brother to him. He deserves every little attention because he was just so, like, adorable! He couldn't bear to see him being his servant so he asked Jiuxiao to call him "Brother" instead of "Master". He prefered him to do so anyway, plus Jiuxiao was around 4 to 5 years younger than him. "Little fool, why are you so naive? Not everyone in this world is a good person."

"But what if they actually were..?"

Zhou Zishu sighed. "Be careful and wary just in case; some particular people don't have good intentions."

Before Jiuxiao could open his mouth to agree, a guard rushed inside to Zhou Zishu's room without knocking. "Head General Zhou, its an emergency!" he panted and held on to the door frame.

It was past midnight. What kind of emergency could there be? That could even make a lowly guard barge into a highly-respected figure's room? The guard looked panicked and cold sweat were dripping from his forehead, making his entire body wet and soaking his armor. Liang Jiuxiao immediately asked. "Where are your manners? How dare you barge into the Head General's room like a rabbid bull without warning?"

"Please forgive me for that!" The guard saluted with his fists. "Its just that..." he was trying his best to explain the situation. "From one if the spies that we had sent to Jinzhou, they gave us the information just a minute ago that their troops were just a mile away from Chang'an...!"

There was dread silence. They could only hear the poor guard huffing and panting for breath.

"What?!!" Both Zhou Zishu and Liang Jiuxiao could hardly believe what he had just said. They barely managed to open their mouths."His Majesty expects Head General Zhou to lead the wars." the guard continued. Zhou Zishu didn't waste the already-rushed time. Just within a few seconds, he was already decked out in his mail and mountain patterned armor*. He wore the chain helmet and placed it properly on top of his head. The casualties of war are inevitable... He might come back to the palace next day headless and lifeless. He took the sword that hung on its place on the wall; then turned to face the guard. "Ask my troops to be ready in time. We can't give up the capital to our enemies."

"Yes!"

The guard ran out of the room hurriedly. Chang'an is the capital of the Tang Dynasty, if it collapses, then they will never see the the daylight anymore in their days. And thats guaranteed. Zhou Zishu already guessed that this will happen one day; you could never trust your enemies. They could attack anytime like a bunch of wild dogs. How sneaky. He was also going to exit the room but Jiuxiao stopped him and pulled his hand. "Zishu ge, can I come with you too?"

"Jiuxiao, I'm just going for a while. I'll be back as soon as we achieve victory. Just wait for me obediently here."

"But thats the case if you actually won!" Jiuxiao held his hand even more tightly, then stammered. Bad thoughts suddenly flashed in his head. "W-what if something else h-happens to you i-instead?"

"Don't be such a pessimist." Zhou Zishu patted him on the shoulder. "I'll definitely head back home." he assured him.

They heard loud footsteps from some boots at the outside. Zhou Zishu opened the door even more widely to reveal hundreds of soldiers decked out in their armor and each of their hand holding a spear or a sword. The time was already late and it was past midnight. The bright full moon was high up in the sky; owls hooting from a distance. The dark place was lighted up with lanterns. Duan Pengju nodded at him, signalling that they were all set. Liang Jiuxiao finally let go of his hand. He knew that persuading him to not go to the wars is a funny joke. He was a Head General; that was his responsibility. Plus, this war involves thousands of innocent lives and the whole Tang Dynasty. He couldn't just... stand there and didn't do anything to help. He believed that everything will be in control with Zishu ge leading them.

Duan Pengju was about to lead them to go and find their horses to prepare for the battle, but Zhou Zishu raised his hand to stop them. Duan Pengju gave him a questioning look; wondering why he didn't rush them eventhough their state was in a state of danger. Zhou Zishu smiled at him. He then began a speech that could help lift up their spirits.

"Brothers, I know that all of you are very exhausted right now. But as the Tang Dynasty's protectors, we have to fight and defend our country till our last breath!"

The soldiers all hung their heads; knowing that they had an important responsibility to shoulder. Just one little mistake and it will take your life away.

"Have you ever thought of your family and loved ones waiting for you at home to safely return?" Zhou Zishu raised his voice. "This isn't just like any other tasks that you can simply abandon. Soldiers are important assets to the country, and without all of your hardwork, I don't think that the Tang Dynasty will be still here today."

Some of the soldiers were mumbling of what seemed like desperate prayers. And some were waiting in anticipation on what Zhou Zishu would say next. Seeing that both sides did not react or say anything, Jiuxiao decided to take advantage of this situation. As they said, people will find and realize the truth if they were in a state of confusion. "We are all from the Tang Dynasty! And will forever be. This is our hometown! And we will protect it at all costs!"

Whispers began to broke out in the dread silence. A soldier finally said, agreeing with Jiuxiao's statements. "Yes, what Servant Liang said is true!"

Soon enough, the guards began cheering. Their eyes were full of determination. Some of them chanted their military song, while some just stood there and smiled, proud of having a supportive general like Zhou Zishu. His servant wasn't that bad too. Liang Jiuxiao was pleasantly surprised; never in his whole life would he have thought that him, a servant, would have the right to vote and express his own opinions. He had been sold to different Masters since when he was a child; and this was the first time he had met some nice people.

And so, they got on to their horses and rode to the capital's gates.

Will they safely return or die out there in the battlefields?

Who knows?

*xiangqi= chess called in Ancient China
*mail and mountain patterned armor= the official armor in Tang Dynasty