Chapter 3

"Surprise," I smiled sheepishly, holding a bottle of champagne in one hand and a box of brownies in another—his favorite.

"Shut the fuck up!" Dylan screamed in my face, tears immediately welling in his light brown eyes. He was twenty-five now and towered over me, standing at around 6'0. He grew out his sandy blonde hair, now rocking a messy man bun, his "dream hairstyle," apparently. His body was more defined, muscles rippling through his arms and legs, but he still kept a clean, shaved face as always. I could tell four years had passed because the last time I saw Dylan in person, he looked like a scrawny innocent kid plucked straight from high school but now, he looked like a man, a very attractive man.

"Wait, I must be dreaming again," he whispered to himself.

I rolled my eyes and laughed. "You're not dreaming, Dylan, now are you going to let me in or have me stand here all day?"

I placed the champagne and brownies on his marble counters once he let me in, and as soon as I turned around, I was attacked with a smothering bear hug.

"I can't believe you're actually here; when did you get back?" He whispered into my neck.

Dylan was the only person I kept in contact with over the years, face timing and texting whenever we could, and soon enough, we became best friends. I never imagined Dylan, out of all people, becoming my closest friend, but he was there for me through it all, even when I tried to push him away.

"Can't. Breathe," I mumbled.

"Shit, sorry," he immediately released me but grabbed my hand and dragged me to the living room on the couch along with the champagne and brownies.

"Now tell me everything from the beginning and don't leave anything out, how was it over there, when did you come back, what are you going to do now that you're back? Fuck, did I mention that I missed you?"

"I missed you too, Dylan," I smiled, grabbing the blanket off the head of the couch and snuggling into him as he wrapped a muscular arm around me. It felt good to be back, with Dylan at least, I still have yet to get back into the real world, but that's a challenge for another day.

"I got back two weeks ago," I began but was quickly interrupted.

"Two weeks ago?!" Dylan gasped, most likely wondering why I didn't visit him the second I came back.

"No interruptions."

"I know, I know, sorry, please continue, your highness."

I rolled my eyes and started from the very beginning when I first left, making sure not to leave out a single detail. By the time I finished, it was nearing midnight.

"You're such an inspiration," he whispered in awe, squeezing me tightly.

"I don't think I could've done it all without you," I smiled, gazing up at him. "You were there for me even when I didn't want you to be, and even after that, you pushed me to do better for myself and others. I don't think you realize how much you played a part in my life the last four years, but I love you, and I'm so grateful for you."

"Fuck," Dylan wiped his eyes dramatically. "You're going to make me cry; I love you too."

"As for my plans now," I continued. "A few months before I left Mozambique, I contacted some people and started a Nonprofit Organization here to continue the work I've been doing over the years, so I start there Monday as their new Project Coordinator."

"Let me get this straight. You own this nonprofit, but you're going to start working there as an employee?" He questioned.

I smiled and nodded. "I want to be in the field actively making a difference, not stuck in some office doing paperwork. I did my time as a CEO, and it's just not for me."