Chapter 10

"Ana," a familiar voice called out my name, but I couldn't seem to register where it was coming from.

My brain felt foggy and mushed, and no matter how hard I tried, I could not get my eyes to open.

"Ana, sweetheart, it's time to get up," the gentle voice spoke again, accompanied by the feeling of large hands trying to force me to sit up.

"No," I mumbled sleepily, attempting to swat the hands away.

A low chuckle resounded near my ear. "You're going to be late for work."

My eyes immediately shot open as I sat up abruptly, making my head spin, and as soon as I whipped the covers off and slid out the fluffy bed I was in, pain instantly shot through my core reminding me of everything that happened last night.

Before my legs gave out and buckled underneath me, Ezra was at my side forcing me to sit back down on the edge of the bed.

"Easy," he murmured.

"Don't easy me," I huffed, finding a way around him. I rushed into the bathroom and grabbed the spare toothbrush he left for me, trying to ignore the piercing feeling radiating from my lower half.

"Ana," Ezra sighed heavily, leaning against the door frame with his arms crossed against his chest.

My eyes raked over his body, seeing him fully dressed in grey slacks and a tight white button-down long sleeve shirt. The sleeves were rolled up slightly, and his hair was pulled into a low bun with one long strand hanging in front of his face. As much as I wanted to stand there and ogle, I couldn't. Time was not on my side.

"I'm going to be fucking late," I groaned once I finished brushing my teeth and realized I didn't have a change of clothes here. "This is why I didn't want to stay over. Now it's going to take me an hour just to get to my place and then another hour to get to work..."

I continued my rant and brushed past him into the bedroom, where I began frantically searching for my purse and phone.

"Ana," Ezra called my name again, amusement evident in his voice which made me even more frustrated.

Today Emily and I were supposed to take the kids from the orphanage on their first field trip to Legoland, and if I didn't show up, Emily would have to cancel. My heart broke at the thought of letting the kids down, knowing how excited they were for this trip. I wanted to give them the world, and the least I could do was take them on a fucking trip to Legoland.

"What, Ezra?" I snapped, taking my frustration out on him, but it didn't seem to phase him one bit; instead, the smirk on his face widened.

"Your clothes are behind you."

I scrunched my face in confusion but still turned around and found a fresh pair of skinny jeans with a baby blue foundation t-shirt laid out on the bed, along with a sports bra and panties.

My heart swelled with appreciation, not even caring how he managed to get into my hotel room like Dylan.

"Oh my god, you're a fucking lifesaver," I gasped, flinging my arms around his neck and smashing my lips against his. Ezra's body immediately stiffened underneath me but relaxed soon after, and it wasn't until I pulled away when I realized I broke our kissing rule.

"Shit, sorry," I muttered, untangling my arms from around him, trying to back away, but he looped his arm around my waist and gripped my chin, forcing me to look up into his emerald eyes.

"Don't be," he breathed, leaning down and returning the kiss before releasing my body.

"This still doesn't change anything," I told him, making sure no lines were crossed just now.

Ezra chuckled deeply and made his way towards the door. "I didn't expect it to, sweetheart. I'll be waiting for you downstairs whenever you're ready."

"Thanks again," I smiled, nodding my head towards the clothes.

He sent me a wink before disappearing out the door, closing it behind him.

~~~

I ended up making it to work just in time to see the kids piling into the foundation bus with Emily waiting outside, looking nervous but as soon as she saw me, a smile appeared on her face.

The trip the Legoland was more than successful, and seeing the children's bright smiles were so rewarding, making me fall in love with my work all over again. The rest of the week flew by, and before I knew it, it was Friday—therapy day

"I'll be staying at work late today, so you don't have to pick me up," I told Ezra on the way to work, not wanting to tell him the truth about my therapy. I was afraid I'd be judged for needing help and wasn't ready to admit that I was more fucked up in the head than I appeared to be.

Ezra arched an eyebrow. "What time will you be getting off?"

I shrugged, suddenly becoming interested in the cars whizzing past as we blazed down the highway. "I don't know yet."

"So you'll catch an Uber when you're done?"

"Yep."

"No," he answered immediately.

"Ezra," I sighed, turning to face him. "I don't want you to just be out there waiting on me."

"I don't mind at all."

I clenched my jaw. He was making this harder than expected. "I'll call Dylan instead of the Uber then, I'm sure he'll be up, or maybe I'll just catch a ride from Emily."

"Ana," Ezra glanced over at me with a hint of confusion in his voice. "I told you I don't mind waiting for you no matter the time. Why does it seem you just don't want me picking you up?" He asked, gripping the steering wheel tightly, waiting for an answer.

I felt a pang of guilt settle in my chest when I looked at him again and saw him scrub a hand down his face in frustration, not understanding why I wasn't taking him up on his generous offer.

"It's not that," I finally whispered.

"Then what is it?"

I sucked in a deep breath and stared at my hands. "I have therapy today, and I didn't want you to know about it," I admitted softly.

Ezra let out a breath I didn't realize he was holding. "Why?"

"I didn't want you to think I was weak or unstable."

Silence enveloped the car, and the only thing that could be heard was my shaky breathing.

"I would never think that about you," Ezra finally spoke. "Getting help is nothing to be ashamed of Ana, you should feel strong and proud, if anything. Strong that you were able to realize you needed help and proud for following through with it."

My throat felt thick with emotions, and I felt like a load had been lifted off my chest.

"And if it means anything to you," Ezra continued. "I'm in therapy as well."

My head snapped in his direction, not expecting those words to come out of his mouth.

He chuckled at my reaction. "We're all fighting our own demons."

And for the first time since we met, I saw the familiar pain in his beautiful eyes when he looked over at me, the same pain I see in mine every day when I look in the mirror. I didn't try prying his story out of him just as he didn't try to pry mine. Instead, I reached over and gave his hand a firm squeeze showing him how grateful I was for his kind words, and when I tried to pull away, he caught my hand and intertwined our fingers without taking his eyes off the road.

"So, do I have your permission to pick you up?" He smirked after a few minutes of silence.

I rolled my eyes playfully and squeezed his hand again. "Permission granted."

--

A/N: MERRY CHRISTMAS X2!!! LOVE YOU GUYSSS!! 🎄🥳🎊❤️