Chapter 38

"I won't be able to stay with you today," Nathaniel announced once we were parked in front of the foundation.

It was Friday now, and every day of this week, he stayed glued to my side at work, but I guess today he had actual in-person business to take care of, which was fine with me. Frankly, I was tired of seeing Rachel turn into a tomato whenever she saw him or watching him charm the pants off of every female volunteer. He was a distraction to the workplace, and that was the last thing I needed at my foundation.

"That's okay; I'll be fine."

"Anastazi," he gripped my arm when I turned to leave, but this time, he didn't let go.

"Nathaniel," I sighed, turning back and locking eyes with his intense ones.

"Be careful. I will pick you up here when you get off, do not go anywhere else. Do you understand?"

"Yes."

"What did I say?"

"Seriously?"

He stared me down, that solemn expression etched across his face.

"Be careful, you'll pick me up here and don't go anywhere else; now stop worrying; I'll be fine, have a great day at work, and I'll see you later." I tried to move, but his fingers were still wrapped around my arm. "This is the part where you let me go so I can leave."

"I know," he spoke through clenched teeth and took a deep breath before releasing me. "Be—"

"Careful," I finished for him. "I will."

He nodded once and watched me until I safely walked into the building, pulling out of the parking lot the second I stepped inside. The first thing I did was visit the kids like I had been doing all week, and they happily kept me hostage for a couple of hours until I eventually had to leave to do some paperwork in my office. When lunchtime rolled around, Emily and Matt were waiting for me in the lobby with Chinese takeout, which we took to the terrace to eat.

"So, anyone got any weekend plans?" Emily asked, grabbing a pair of chopsticks.

"Partying with the boys," Matt said around a mouthful of noodles.

"Of course you are," Emily turned her attention to me. "What about you?"

I shrugged. "I'm going out with a friend."

"Oo, a male friend?" She wiggled her eyebrows.

"Yes," I laughed. "A male friend."

"So it's a date?"

"I wouldn't call it that." He would, though.

Emily rolled her eyes playfully. "Of course you wouldn't. Do you know where you're going?"

I shook my head and bit into a spring roll. "Nope, it's a surprise."

"How exciting; I need all the details on how it went bright and early Monday morning."

"Anything for you, Emily," I winked at my friend.

"Well," Matt slapped his thighs and got up after we finished eating. "It was lovely hanging with you ladies, as always, but it's time for me to clock out. Have fun at the kitchen."

"You forgot, didn't you?" Emily asked when she noticed the slight shock on my face.

"Yes," I groaned, mentally calculating how I was going to go help out at the Soup Kitchen, then come back to the foundation in time for Nathaniel to pick me up, so it seemed like I never left.