Chapter 41

"Absolutely not," I told Dylan, shaking my head at his absurd statement. We were at his place on the couch, watching TV or, more like letting the TV play while we talked over it, completely ignoring the show that was on. "Camping?"

"Yes," Dylan grinned.

"For your birthday?"

"Yup."

"Would we at least be staying in cabins?" I asked hopefully, narrowing my eyes when he looked at me sheepishly.

"Dylan..."

"What?" He tossed a handful of popcorn in his mouth. "Is it really camping if you're not sleeping in tents?"

I pressed my lips together. "You're lucky it's for your birthday."

Dylan squealed with delight. "I love you, I promise it'll be fun, and the campsite is only thirty minutes away from here, so if you hate it, you can just come back home."

"Mhm."

"You should bring Nate."

I almost laughed at the image of Nathaniel camping like a normal person. "I doubt Nathaniel would want to go."

"Why, because it involves mingling with actual human beings?"

"Exactly."

"Fair point," he nodded, then quickly added, "And we're leaving tomorrow night, by the way."

"You're a fucking asshole," I laughed, throwing a pillow at his head. He purposely told me last minute, so I couldn't come up with an excuse to cancel, not that I would, especially since it was his birthday, but he knew it could've been a possibility. "Your birthday isn't for another four days."

Dylan shrugged and grinned. "Starting the celebration early."

"I'll have to talk to Nathaniel first."

"Oh yeah, I forgot mother bear hardly lets you out of his sight."

* * *

When I went back to the penthouse later that day, I stopped by Nathaniel's first and found him lounging in the living room on his laptop.

"I have to talk to you," I told him, sitting down on the coffee table in front of him.

"I'm listening," he didn't take his eyes off the screen, but I knew I had his full attention.

"Dylan's going out of town tomorrow night for his birthday, and I'm planning on going with him, so I'll be gone for a few days." I bit my lip, mentally preparing for him to shut down that idea and lock me away in his room or something, which was why his answer surprised me.

"Okay."

"Okay?" I repeated in disbelief expecting much more resistance. "That's it?"

"That's it," his lips tilted into a lazy smile when he looked up at me from his laptop.

I squinted at him suspiciously. "Is this a joke?"

"Not at all."

"And you don't have a problem with me leaving?" I had no idea why I was pushing my luck, but it all seemed too good to be true.

"Do you want me to?"

"Nope," I popped up from the table, sat beside him, leaned over, and kissed him on the cheek. "I'm gonna go pack."

"Have fun."

"Thanks," I beamed, thankful I didn't have to sell my soul to get him to agree with these plans.