Chapter 56

I was buzzing with nervousness when we walked back into the food hall. He said I would get all of the answers tonight, all of the answers I'd been wanting ever since the night I left four years ago. All I had to do was get through this last celebration they planned without jumping out of my skin from anticipation. Everything went exactly as Nathaniel said. As soon as we entered the food hall, the lights were dim, Dylan was holding a huge birthday cake with candles, and everyone started singing Happy Birthday, even the kids. I thanked them, which I meant from the bottom of my heart, blew out the candles, and then made a wish. The cake was absolutely delicious, which made more sense after I found out Nonna and Nathaniel baked it for me, but Nonna made sure to take all of the credit. For the next hour, we ate the cake, talked some more, and then Nathaniel finally announced the party was over. The staff took care of the children, getting them to where they belonged, and I made my rounds, hugging, thanking, and saying goodbye to all of the amazing people who showed out and supported me today. I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to be surrounded by, and I was forever grateful.

When Nathaniel and I finally walked out of the building together, I immediately stopped in my tracks when I saw what was waiting for me in the parking lot. "Um...what is that?" I asked, pointing at the brand-new car with a bow on top of the hood.

"Oh, yeah," Nathaniel fished something out of his pocket and handed me a pair of keys. "I bought you a new car, and it's electric, so you're saving the planet. I cannot go another day with you driving that piece of junk you consider a car."

"I—" I was speechless. 

"You're welcome." He kissed my temple. "Want to drive it?"

"Yes!" I squealed happily, running to it and admiring the car more up close. 

Nathaniel took the bow off, then climbed in the passenger seat for once, and as I drove off, all of our friends were there waving and cheering until they disappeared into nothingness, and then it was finally just the two of us. He connected his Bluetooth to the car, letting his beautiful classical musical flow through the vehicle, but other than that, the drive to his penthouse was silent, an unspoken understanding settling between us. The need for words seemed to dissipate in the air, replaced by a comfortable silence that spoke volumes. It was the kind of silence the two of us shared often, where words were unnecessary, and the mere presence of each other was enough. His hand, caressing my thigh, was comforting and calmed my racing mind, buzzing with more thoughts than I could process. When we pulled into the parking garage, he got out, opened my door, and then we made our way up to his place in the elevator. 

"Do you want to shower and get comfortable?" He asked, breaking the silence when the doors slid open. 

A hot shower sounded heavenly to relax my mind before the truth unfolded, so I nodded, and he walked with me up to his room, handing me my own pair of pajamas that I had left when I moved out before kissing my temple and walking out to give me my privacy. In the shower, I let the water run down my head and body, trying to drown out the world around me just for a moment, and when I finally felt ready to face whatever was waiting for me outside the door, I got out and got dressed then found Nathaniel waiting for me in the living room wearing a fresh pair of clothes, his hair slightly damp from the shower he must've taken in the guest bedroom. I pressed my hand against my chest, trying desperately to calm my beating heart, but it didn't seem to help at all. What did help was when Nathaniel got up and took me in his arms, pressing his lips against my hair. 

"You get your strength from your mother," he murmured. "She was a fighter, a warrior, and it was an honor getting to know her in the short amount of time she had left, and now you'll get to know her too." He sat me down on the couch facing the TV, grabbed the remote from the coffee table then knelt down in front of me. "I'll be over there if you need me," he nodded his head in the direction behind me where the kitchen was. "But I want you to have this one-on-one time with her." Nathaniel placed the remote in my hand. "Press play when you're ready," he instructed, then walked away, leaving the rest up to me.