Chapter 16

My smile ached as I struck out on yet another potential investor, but I forced myself to keep going—for the kids. I'd do anything for the kids at the foundation, so if that meant smiling all night at slimy investors until my teeth fell out, then so be it.

"Ana!" I heard my name being called just as I was getting ready to walk over to the CEO of another tech company.

I turned and found Rachel walking towards me, looking stunning in a red dress that fit her petite figure beautifully, but when my eyes shifted to the person striding a step behind her, everything froze and ceased to exist.

"I have the most exciting news ever," she beamed brightly. "Meet..."

Nathaniel Creed.

I saw Rachel's mouth moving out of the corner of my eye, but nothing she was saying registered. Instead, my focus was on the man in front of me. The same man I ran away from four years ago, the same man that broke me in ways that'll never fully heal again, the same man I gave my entire soul and heart to only for him to squeeze it in his hands and shatter it was now just a few steps away. My throat constricted, my hands grew clammy, and it felt like someone swung a sledgehammer directly into my chest, knocking the breath out of my body and my heart; my fucking heart was racing--thumping so loudly in my ears I was sure everyone in this room could hear it.

Ever since I left that night, I imagined this moment countless times. It consumed my thoughts at night, consumed me when I allowed myself to think about the things--memories I wanted to keep buried forever, and each time I thought about this--this specific moment, I promised myself if I were ever to see him again I wouldn't run away like before. I was done running, done cowering and hiding from my problems as if that would miraculously make them go away. If the last four years proved anything, it proved that I was strong and more resilient than ever despite the shitty hand I'd been dealt my entire life, and now, it was finally time to put that resilience to the test. So even though my chest ached with every sharp breath I took, even though my head was spinning a million miles per hour, even though every bone in my body was crying, screaming at me to turn around and leave before it was too late, I did what I never would've done four years ago; I stayed.

"...meet Ana, our project coordinator at The Dream Foundation," Rachel finished introducing me.

After what felt like a century, I finally slowly dragged my eyes up until they found his piercing blue ones that were beautiful, striking, and intense as I remembered. Even though it'd only been four years, his face looked more mature but just as handsome. He had light stubble covering his jaw, and his silky black hair that once curled around his ears was now curling around his neck but still wasn't long enough to be put in a ponytail. The black three-piece Armani suit clinging to his broad, muscular figure was crisp and tailored to perfection, and I could see the hint of his dark tattoos peeking from under the sleeves of his suit jacket. His signature gold rolex watch was clasped tightly on his wrist, accompanied by a gold ring sitting snug on his pinky finger.

His presence alone was enough to send me running to the hills, but when he finally spoke, and I heard his smooth deep charismatic voice, my heart stopped beating.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Nathaniel smiled, flashing his straight white teeth as he stretched his hand out politely to shake mine. "Ana."

Ana.

He never called me that before, but it rolled off his tongue in such a familiar and sinful way it was as if he used to say a million times in the past. I was still frozen, and my throat was still dry, begging for moisture, but I had to speak now, I had to move now, I had to be strong now. So instead of slamming my fists into his jaw or screaming and demanding answers to my long-awaited questions, I took a deep breath and plastered a bright smile on my face.