Chapter 50

Smells wonderful, Tesoro," Nonna said as soon as she walked into the kitchen, already wearing an apron.

"Why, thank you."

She took over what I was doing, and I happily moved to the side and started preparing the salad. "You know, you never talk about Nathaniel's grandfather; why is that?"

"Because he is coward man who left me after Isabella died. He didn't know how to handle pain of losing her, so without warning, he left. I told Paffuto this when he came over after you told him about the miscarriage. I said, 'Stop being fucking coward like your grandfather and go back to the woman you love and make things right.' I hope the idiot took my advice."

"Nonna," I half laughed, half sniffled, walking over and pulling her into a hug. "I'm so sorry no one was there for you during that horrific time, but I am so grateful that I have you in my corner. You are the strongest woman I know, and I hope that I end up being at least half the woman you are the older I get."

"Oh, Tesoro, the fact that you're able to deal with my Paffuto proves that you are stronger than I'll ever be because that boy drives me—"

"Nonna, you home?" 

Nonna and I both jumped at the sound of Nathaniel's voice coming from the front door. 

"Speak of the devil, and he will appear," she whispered before plastering a sweet smile on her face and turning towards the entrance of the kitchen, where Nathaniel would be walking through momentarily. "In here, Paffuto!" She yelled at her grandson. 

"I have a business dinner that just came up, so I won't be able to hang out tonight," he said, still sounding far away.

"That's fine. I have company anyway."

"Who, Stella?" Now he sounded closer. 

"No, but she did come by earlier and help me with gardening."

"Then wh--" Nathaniel stopped mid-sentence as soon as he saw me standing there, practically stripping me naked with his eyes when he saw what I was wearing. "This is an unexpected surprise."

"Nonna kidnapped me; now stop looking at me like that."

"Like what?" he asked innocently. 

I narrowed my eyes when he winked before turning to Nonna. "What are you cooking?"

She waved her spoon at him. "Don't worry about it. Don't you have business meeting to go to?"

I crossed my arms and tilted my head, silently siding with Nonna when he looked back over at me as if I would answer instead.

"Did I say the meeting was tonight?" He asked, obviously wanting any excuse to stay for dinner now that he saw I was there.

"Yes," Nonna and I answered at the same time to which he smirked.

Nathaniel walked over to Nonna and planted a kiss on her forehead. "Did you have a good day, granny?"

I turned around, facing the counter again to start chopping up the cucumbers giving them their moment but not before seeing Nonna swat Nathaniel's arm with the spoon in her hand. "I told you to stop calling me that unless you want to die."

He chuckled and quickly apologized.

"But yes, I had a wonderful day," she added, then went on to ask him how his day went. 

I loved that he tried to spend as much time with her as he could with the busy schedule he had, and I knew regardless of how much he got on her nerves, she enjoyed every moment with him, especially when he was in a good mood like today and wasn't sulking.

"Anyway, I should get going," he mumbled after ranting about the long stressful day he had. "I promise I'll make it to dinner tomorrow night, okay?"

"You better."

"Love you."

"Love you, Paffuto."

I felt his presence behind me as soon as he finished talking to Nonna. "Anastazi," he tugged on my ponytail. 

"Nathaniel." I turned my head slightly to face him towering over me.

"I'll see you tomorrow?"

We had our therapy session tomorrow afternoon.

"Yes."

His gaze flickered down to my body. "I thought you looked sexy as hell last night," he murmured, pinching the fabric of the shirt I was wearing. "But you in my clothes doesn't even begin to compare to that."

"Don't you have somewhere to be?" Nonna interrupted before I had a chance to respond, and I had a feeling she did it to get back at Nathaniel for calling her granny.

In one swift move, Nathaniel lowered his head and kissed my cheek. "See you tomorrow."

After he left, Nonna and I finished cooking, then ate and watched a random movie together. Spending time with her was the perfect ending to the weekend; now it was back to reality come Monday morning.

--