Chapter 8: Rafiki's Explanation

"I'm ... afraid." Rafiki began. "That this is worse than we thought."
"What do you mean Rafiki? " asked a puzzled Nala.

"I'm afraid I can't cure it.... I'm very sorry." said Rafiki trying to hold back his tears.
Kion and Kaira looked at Rafiki, they had never seen him cry before.
"Rafiki?" asked Kion. "Did something happen to the last....(gulp) lion that had a Scar?"
Rafiki and Nala looked at each other.

Than Rafiki spoke:
"I'm afraid it's a story without a happy ending."
Kion and Kiara listened.
"You see, back in the days when your Grandfather Mufasa was King I'm sure you all know he had a younger brother called Scar yes?"
Kion and Kaira nodded.
"Well... truth is Scar wasn't always called Scar...No! His birth name was Taka which means in our language "Take, Want" or unfortunately (as he was known as) "Trash."
 "What kind of parent would name their kid "Trash?" asked Kiara.
("Beats me." said a smooth annoyed voice to Kion.
It was none other than Scar himself.
Kion pleaded in his head for him to leave but Scar for once told him that they both needed to listen to the story.)

"I think I may know why Princess Kiara" said Rafiki. He continued:
"Mufasa and Taka (as he was known) started off as best friends. But their Father, your Great Grandfather Ahadi had to choose a successor, his wife, your Great Grandmother Uru who was the Queen wanted both of them to rule."
(Scar perked his ears up his mother had never told that to him.) 
"But back then, the Queen didn't have that much of a say in the matter and Ahadi decided to pick Mufasa as his heir to the throne. Taka at first was OK with it because he became the Leader of the Lion Guard and all was well until that fateful day...." He trailed off.
(Kion looked at Scar but Scar's expression was motionless.)
"The day in which the Lion Guard fell." Said Rafiki.
"What do you mean fell?" asked Kion confused.
"One day Taka furious that Mufasa  teased him and walked off, he asked his Guard to help him take down Mufasa" Rafiki explained.
Kiara and Kion looked horrified.
"But as Simba told you Kion, Scar's Lion Guard refused to help him and that's when Scar unleashed the Roar of the Elders at them, and until you were ready the Lion Guard ceased to exist for years."
Kion and Kiara's jaws dropped.
"Scar had his power and position as the Leader of the Lion Guard stripped from him and he became weak and depressed. He was like that for many years till Simba was born and I believe you know the rest eh?" finished Rafiki.
Nala looked at him: "Only a few parts of it Rafiki" she admitted. "Simba's still upset over all that. We agreed to tell them when they were old enough to understand."
Rafiki looked at her:
"Nala I think you and Simba have run out of time. They need to know what happened."
Nala sighed agreeing but had one more question to ask:
"Rafiki are you sure you can't cure him?"
"I'm afraid there is no cure for Kion in the Pride Lands." Rafiki sighed.
(Scar shuddered: "So that's why they never sent me somewhere to get healed and look at what I became.")
"NO!" Nala shouted in horror.
"Your Highness I'll think of something but you need to keep calm and you also need to tell the rest of the story with Simba yes?" He explained.
Nala put her ears down..."Of course Rafiki. " she said softly.
Rafiki placed a hand on her shoulder: "I'll send for you if I find out anything."
Nala nodded then turned to Kion and Kiara. "Come on you two" she smiled. "Let's go find your Dad."

And they went back to Pride Rock all in thought about the story.

Scar meanwhile watched them go.
He too was in thought on why his Mother never told him about him and Mufasa ruling together. He knew his Father was short tempered and stubborn and he did prefer Mufasa over him.
Scar watched Kion and the rest of his family head to Pride Rock and as the sun started to set he just stood there watching.