Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Camp Half-Blood wasn't exactly boring without Harry and Percy and Annabeth and Luna, but it was definitely missing them, Leo decided as he sat at the edge of the lake where the three of them used to sit after activities were over for the day. He sat watching the canoes bob idly in the water. Apart from Harry and Percy, nobody used the canoes for fun in their free times. The archery range, combat arena, Hephaestus forges and climbing wall were rarely ever empty during waking hours – excluding meal times. But it had become a regular and comforting occurrence during his first month and a half at camp to see the Sons of Poseidon paddling over the lake in the early mornings while they puzzled over something, or were mad about something.

Leo smiled sadly as he thought of his older friends and their chatter. As if his thoughts had summoned them, a rainbow spread out in front of him, and Annabeth and Luna's fuzzy face came into focus in it. Leo's head snapped up and he beamed at his female friends.

"Luna! Annabeth! What's up? How's school? Are Harry and Percy ok? You look worried. What's wrong? Are you all safe?"

"Wow!" A fond smile spread over their face, and Luna gazed dreamily at the boy she'd come to think of as her younger brother. "Hold up there, Flame-boy. One at a time yeah?"

Leo blushed, and patted out the flames dancing in his hair, looking sheepishly up at Luna. "Sorry."

"Have you heard anything from Harry and Percy recently? They've been too busy for us to grab their attention round school. They've been upset, sitting at the Gryffindor table the past week. I can't work out why! They haven't so much as been near the dungeons except for lessons either." Luna's usually happy expression was creased with a frown in worry for their mutual friend.

Leo chuckled. "They talked with us briefly on Monday, moaning at lunchtime where you are that they were stuck with the Gryffindor's for the week because as punishment they'd been exiled from Gryffindor. They were also complaining about their brother doing something stupid as usual."

Luna laughed, her worry set aside for a while, letting Annabeth take over.

"How's business down you end, then?" She smiled.

Leo pulled a face, and childishly stuck out his tongue. "Less fun without you four here. I'm almost the youngest here, and nobody else wants to hear of my creations."

Annabeth grinned at Leo's pout. "Owl us some and we'll read over them and offer some tips – from the architectural side, of course!"

"Please? Would you? Thanks Annabeth!" Leo grinned, leaping up and dancing around madly.

A figure appeared on the top of the gentle slope behind the excited nine year old, and a loud voice called to him.

"Leo! Get come on, little dude, it's almost time for activities to start again! You can talk to Annabeth and Percy later!"

Annabeth grinned at the tall dark skinned demigod at the top of the hill. "Hi Beckendorf!" She yelled back, earning herself a smile from the normally withdrawn son of Hephaestus.

"I should go." Leo said sadly. "Talk again soon?"

Annabeth and Luna smiled and nodded. "Sure thing. See you round!"

Leo wiped a hand though the Iris Message, causing it to dissolve into hundreds of sparking particles before running up the slope to follow his brother to the combat arena, to practise sparring.

Thousands of miles away, Luna and Annabeth sat in their dorm room, quietly smiling as they thought of their little Latino friend, safe at their home, Camp Half-Blood.