Chapter 6

(Edited: 18/07/2020)

Chapter 6

Harry's Point of View

The next couple of months flew by, filled with lessons, homework, my latest potions project I was working on and Percy's bi-weekly swims in the lake. It was relatively peaceful. Professor Quirrel, our Defence teacher, (despite the constant stench of garlic and his horrendous stutter) turned out to not be a bad teacher, and soon it was one of my favourite lessons. Our Godfather let us use a spare dungeon room to practice potions in, and Professor Flitwick and Professor McGonagall gave us extra-credit projects to work on.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end as Halloween demonstrated...

When we woke the dorm was silent, all the boys still sleeping peacefully. I groaned and rolled out of bed, casting a tempus charm. It was seven. Percy moaned.

'Why can't you ever wake at a reasonable time, Harry?'

'Because we have school?' I pointed out with a grin. I trudged over to the showers and turned in on, ignoring the icy sheets of water that pelted our body. Percy instantly snapped awake, his mind kicking into overdrive.

'Hey Harry.' Percy sent me a devilish grin. I groaned.

'Oh no, I know that look, what do you have planned?' I said in horror.

Percy smirked. 'Since the boys will need to start their morning beauty routine soon anyway, why don't we wake them up?'

'Percy!'

Too late. Percy had always had an affinity with water. He nudged it, channelling it in four neat streams to gather other the boys' heads. I snarled.

'Percy! Do you want Draco mad at us? Last time he didn't talk to us for a week! And it's always your fault too...'

Percy faltered, guilt flooding from his side of the bond, but too late. His control slipped and screams of rage sounded from the dorm.

'Hehe. Sorry?' Percy tried. I sent him the evil eye then blanked him out.

"Potter!" Draco snarled, charging into the bathroom. I groaned.

"Draco, it wasn't me I swear, I asked Percy not too..." I tried to apologise, receiving a stinging hex to the cheek. "Ow!"

Draco almost looked regretful. Almost. "Why didn't you stop him? Fight him for control or something?"

"It doesn't work like that... We have separate magic cores, right? We don't need to be in control to tap into them." I tried to explain. All the anger left Draco's face, leaving one of awe.

"You mean you don't need wands?"

I frowned, confused. "What do you mean? We've been using our magic for the last six years, why would we need a wand to do magic? I thought they were just to practise our control with, channelling magic down a smaller centre..."

Draco laughed. He threw back his head and laughed. It was the most relaxed I'd ever seen the pureblood heir. "Oh Merlin, Harry. For all your book smarts, I sometimes forget how truly naive you really are. Wands allow normal wizards –those that aren't twin souls – to access their magic."

"Oh. So we could technically just not use them?"

A smirk twisted Draco's lips up. "Underestimation is the best weapon, even better than pure power. Don't tell anybody else of this, Ok?"

"Won't Dumbledore already know, I mean, we pretty much chucked him across the hall and smashed all the windows..." I asked, worried.

"Who? That old coot? Mark my words Harry, that show probably just made him underestimate you more. It was an act of accidental magic in his eyes, making you even less in control of your powers than he had thought." Draco's smirk widened. "Don't you just love the amount of excuses you have when you're a 'child'?"