Chapter 63

Chapter 63

Percy's Point of View

To say that Tantalus was being fair would be like comparing Mr D to a sober man. He refused to listen to any form of reasoning, raising Clarisse up high for finishing the race, and scorning us for saving the camp. We gave up after the first "Be quiet, boy!", recognising the tone of a man who doesn't intend to listen to what he was being told. Annabeth and Luna persisted a little longer, but soon they gave up too.

"Do you know what I think naughty misbehaving children deserve? Kitchen duty. You two are hereby sentenced to wash up for a week. That is, if your hands survive the first day." Tantalus laughed coldly, sending shivers down our spine. Feeling them, Alyssa decided to raise her head from where she had been wrapped around our waist for warmth.

$What is going on?$ She hissed, narrowing her eyes at a now quivering Tantalus. I smirked, and ran a hand gently down her spine, but didn't prevent her from slivering down our body to inspect the horrible man. She flicked her tongue at Tantalus, scenting him. She hissed, horrified at his scent. Idly I wondered if he still smelt like the Fields of Punishment, or whether that smell faded faster than his curse.

$Don't worry. Tantalus is just a bully. We'll deal with him later, yeah?$

"Y-you!" Tantalus was quivering now, "th-that's a basilisk! How... how aren't you melting? How are you still alive?!"

"What? Alyssa darling wouldn't hurt us. She's a magical familiar. Apparently as they mature, problems such as acidic skin become less of a problem." I grinned. "But with the dishes... you didn't say we couldn't use our "powers" did you?"

"No." Tantalus smirked again. "Not that your water skills would help you much anyway, mini Poseidon."

I gritted our teeth, but didn't reply. We'd heard the rumours of what the harpies used to clean the dishes. Guesses ranged from normal soap to acid to lava... We weren't sure, but if I had to guess based off Tantalus' large smirk it would be lava. After all, he was suggesting it had nothing to do with a water based substance.

Alyssa hissed, not liking Tantalus' expression.

$Please, Harry and Percy. Make me fully sized again! I'll kill the hatchling tormentor. Who does he think he is?$

I chucked. 'Tempting. Very tempting. Please Harry?'

'No!' Harry shook our head. $Sorry Alyssa. Mr.D will kill you if you harm a single hair on his head, and unless you have a track free record we're unlikely to be able to keep you.$

Alyssa let out a disappointed hiss, but argued no further, returning to us and settling herself around our shoulders. I smiled at her, feeling just as put out. I knew Harry had a point – my brother always did. But why couldn't the fun option also be the reasonable option for once?

Tantalus, looking really put off by our hissing, dismissed us. Annabeth and Luna looked furious.

"Did you see his face? That smug child-killer! We had done absolutely nothing! In fact, we saved his sorry life! And he punishes us with kitchen duty!"

"Why exactly is that the worst punishment camp offers? I mean, we've heard the rumours but I would have thought something like cleaning out the stable or washing the toilets with a toothbrush would have been far worse." Harry spoke softly, aware of Annabeth's sharp temper. Our friend took in a breath, then released it slowly. Even for her, that outburst had been extreme.

When Harry's words sunk in, Annabeth burst out laughing. "Washing the toilets with a toothbrush? Are you serious?"

I nodded sincerely. That was, without a doubt, the worst detention we'd ever had to deal with. Overseen by Filch, of course. Who else would set such manual labour? Apart from our godfather on a bad day, of course.