Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Harry's Point of View

We watched the countryside blur into a mess of green with curiosity as Argus drove ever closer to the city. Annabeth huffed as she looked at us – our nose was all but pressed up against the window as we watched.

"Really, Seaweed Brain?" The blonde girl snorted. "You'd think you'd never been inside a car before."

"We haven't." I sent the girl a frown. "Our world doesn't use them. Well, unless their on Political missions to the muggle Government."

With those few words we turned back to the window. We had slowed down as we reached the city and the blur of green countryside had melted into the shapes of grey buildings, colourful flashing signs and people. We found ourselves staring at the various food restaurants – McDonalds seemed to pop up a lot – and every kid in the back of his parent's car, every billboard and every shopping mall. It seemed so foreign to the tidier, smaller streets that we wizards preferred. Everything was just a jumble of colours and people and noise.

I can guess what you're thinking – we've visited our muggle cousins before – so why haven't we seen all this before? We don't actually leave the Dursley's house when we visit them. Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia are far too concerned with appearances and are constantly worrying that we'll say something strange, or do a 'freaky thing' if they let us outside. Muggles!

Annabeth huffed again. "You're so weird."

We looked at her, hurt. "What? We bet you'd behave similarly if you visited our world. Besides, why do you hate us so much?"

"I don't hate you. It's just…" Annabeth fiddled with her invisibility cap, "we're not supposed to get along, ok? Our parents are rivals."

We narrowed our eyes at her, the now old argument springing up again. "Well, we don't see how that can be, given your parents have never met ours."

"You are the son of the sea god!" Annabeth snapped. She sighed, and her eyes softened slightly. "You're going to have to accept that sometime."

"James might not have been the best father for us, but at least he was around when we grew up. Poseidon might have donated some of his genes to us, but he is not our father."

Thunder rumbled ominously in the background, and Annabeth flashed us a sad smile. "You don't have a great home-life do you?"

Our barriers snapped up. "That's none of your business!"

Argus caught our eye and winked at us. We offered a small smile in return. We liked Argus, we had decided. He wasn't a man of many words, but he had come across as the type who was fiercely protective of those he cared about. I mean, just look at the myths of him and Hera!

"Believe it or not, most kids at camp didn't have a good home life either. I mean, I ran away from home when I was seven." Annabeth's voice was hesitant, as if she didn't really want to talk about it, but she didn't stop. "I met Luke and… and Thalia, and we formed our own little family."

We snorted, but didn't turn to look at our new travelling companion. "Yeah, no offence, but I think your life was a bit different than mine. You didn't have a famous brother thrown into the spotlight while you were all but forgotten in the shadows. You don't have to deal with only being allowed a half-relationship with him because you were sorted into the wrong house! You don't have to watch him and wonder if he will actually live to use the grades he gets in his exams, because you don't have a psychopathic Dark Lord threatening to return and destroy your entire world!"

When we finally did turn to look at the blond, her eyes were wet with unshed tears. "You're right, I don't," Annabeth admitted, "but my point is – we have all been through something similar. Admittedly some more than others, but you're not alone, here. We are your family, and we look after our own."