Chapter 8

(Edited: 27/07/2020)

Chapter 8

Harry's Point of View

When we woke I was buzzing with excitement. Today was the day I'd been waiting for Merlin knows how long! It was going to be the first Quidditch match of season; Gryffindor verses Slytherin! No homework today, just a day out at the pitch! I grinned, and Percy moaned slightly.

'Harry, I swear to Merlin, isn't it supposed to be my job to get hyper? I don't inflict you with it this early in the morning so could you please, please refrain from inflicting me with your over energetic thoughts?' Percy moaned, mentally burying his head under a pillow. I laughed.

'Oh Percy, if I could help it I would, but really, it's the first match of the season! You can't tell me you aren't excited to see if we win?' I grinned stupidly.

Percy glared at me. 'Ask me again when it's not five in the morning and I'll give you the answer you want. Seriously, not even Draco is up and starting his morning beauty routine. I think you can wait a few more hours, I mean seriously?'

I sighed, but laid back down on our bed, putting up a mental blockage to let Percy get back to his oh so precious sleep. Too awake to follow suit I picked up a book – Quidditch through the Ages – and began to read, letting the words slowly lull me back into a calmer state.

I must have fallen back to sleep because when I woke again it was light and the other boys were noisily getting ready round us. Percy had obviously been awake a short while longer, because we were already dressed and ready to go down to breakfast.

'Morning sleepy head.' Percy laughed. 'It's not often I'm awake and functioning before you, is it?'

'No.' I agreed. 'Please don't do it again, it messes with my head.'

Percy laughed out loud, and Draco gave us a frown.

"Harry's awake." Percy explained with a smile. Draco smiled back.

"Complaining, is he?"

"Apparently it defies nature that I should be functioning in the morning before him." Percy explained.

The boys all laughed, shaking their heads. Blaise even snorted.

"Harry. You can't expect to always be the first awake. I mean, I don't know how late you stayed up last night, but even Crabbe was awake before you this morning."

I gasped. 'Crabbe? But we have to pull him out of bed most mornings! We aren't late are we? I don't want to miss the match. Hurry up Percy! We're going to be late!'

"Ow!" Percy grabbed our head as I shouted at him. "Sheesh Harry, calm down. It's only eight thirty. We still have a whole hour and a half before the game actually begins. We're not going to be late!"

The boys burst into laugher again, and we all headed down to the hall in high spirits. Breakfast was a rowdy affair, shouting at the Gryffindors and boasting about our own skill. Bets were flying round the hall. Ten galleons on Gryffindor. Twenty on Slytherin. Five that they draw. Fifteen that the snitch is caught within the hour.

'Feel like placing any bets, Percy?' I joked.

'You laugh,' Percy said, 'but I actually think I might.'

I groaned.

"Hey Draco!" Percy called. "How much do you bet that Gryffindor win?"

"Really?" Draco looked disgusted. "Where's your house pride, Potter? I wouldn't bet anything on a Gryffindor success. Ten galleons that they lose?"