Chapter 47

Chapter 47

Percy's Point of View

We hummed quietly as we worked on our transfiguration project. It was due in today. The castle had been finished weeks ago, but Hermione had then got started on the grounds. It was no secret that we frequently went swimming in the Black Lake, and so she tasked be with constructing it. Grinning, we had - that evening, the ice be damned - gone for a dip and made a mental map of the lakebed, with the Squid's help to ensure an accurate model of it. Having also discovered that the Chamber of Secrets was under the lake we had spent an entire lesson transfiguring the chamber with its extensive system of pipes and passageways. We had to add charms of course, so that nobody who didn't already know the location of the Chamber would be able to see the pipe leading down from Myrtle's toilet on the first floor. Nor would they see the details we'd added to the chamber, only the barest of details from the rough descriptions in a few of the legends.

Hermione had started on the forest, adding in a few well known places that were no deeper than a mile into the Forbidden Forest, where Care of Magical Creatures lessons took place, or were frequented Hagrid when he was put in charge of detentions on occasion.

"Hermione..." We said suddenly, shocking the witch out of her concentration as she worked Hagrid's hut and vegetable patch.

"Potters." She answered amicably enough, not glancing away from her work.

We paused for a moment. "What would you say about charming figures of people to move around our model? So like, they stay - or move - as their real life counterpart does?"

We'd been mulling the idea around in our head for weeks, contemplating how difficult it would be to charm them. I would work similarly to the Marauder's Map. We'd owled Remus, and he'd offered a few spells we could try, rather than actual transfiguration,

"If you have the time right now and have finished everything else, why not?" Hermione replied, exasperated. "We don't have time for this, Harry and Percy. Get a grip on yourselves!"

We cast the spell we'd discovered worked the best, and figures appeared all round the castle, mostly grouped in clumps in class rooms. They weren't exactly figurines - more like illusions - but they did the trick. To our surprise, even the ghosts appeared.

Hermione looked up, and gasped. "Percy, Harry, that's..."

"Incredible?" We smirked at her. The floors could be turned invisible with a simple spell, allowing view of what lay below. It was pretty cool, if we said so ourselves.

New vigour in our work we both quickly completed our model just in time for McGonagall to call the lesson to an end. We grinned at Hermione, who rolled her eyes, but grinned back all the same. Our model took up so much space we'd moved to the abandoned back rows of the room and had joined to rows together to put it together. Hermione ran an eye over it critically.

"It's fascinating. In the muggle world something like this would take months upon months - if not years to complete, and we did it in about one and a half. Magic truly is something... amazing." She murmured, half to herself.

"And you've hardly scratched the surface. You went with Charles and Ron down the trapdoor last year, didn't you?" We asked. She nodded. "The chess board you had to play across was our extra-curricular transfiguration and charms project. We had full access to the restricted section in the library and more help than perhaps Harry is willing to admit from Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick, but we made that." We told her, with me adding in a bit of my own commentary - just to annoy Harry of course. "It's something that is indeed produced on a mass scale by producers, but the spells are only really fourth year work."