Chapter 50

Chapter 50

Harry's Point of View

The sound of dripping water echoed eerily in the large cavern, the only sound in the large dark space. Far above sunlight spilled in, casting a pool of white brightness in the gloom. But even with the dim lighting the snake impressions on the carved walls were impossible to miss. The Chamber of Secrets was unmistakeable. Merlin only knows I'd been in there enough times to recognise it.

The sound of footsteps broke the sound of the steady beat of dripping water, startling me. As I glanced around for the source of the noise, I became overwhelmingly aware that Percy wasn't sharing this dream with me. That meant either he was in a different dream entirely, or he was awake with Leo. Again.

The shock of red hair stood out like a torch in the dark colours of the chamber. Its owner was young, and – judging from the length of their hair – female. Don't get me wrong, I understand that boys wearing their hair long was coming into fashion again (Draco kept me up to date with these things) but there was an unmistakeable difference between girls and boys hair. Don't ask me to explain it, there just it.

Her hair fell over her face, hiding it in a mixture of shadows and red cascading hair. Her voice was low and deep, almost masculine and completely unrecognisable (if we even knew her) as she hissed her commands to Alyssa.

$Speak to Salazar, greatest of the Hogwarts four!$

I winced as the noise of stone grating against stone filled my ears, making my head ring. Gods of Olympus that sound set my teeth on edge. I watched in a horrified fascination as Alyssa was forced to answer the call, slithering gracefully from her den, and hissing threateningly. It was reassuring to know she hadn't given up quite yet.

$Thrice already I have ordered you to cleanse the castle of the mudbloods! Do not fail me again, Basilisk, or there will be consequences.$ The red-headed girl hissed, her voice cold and threatening.

$Failed? I have removed them from lessons. It is your Mediwitch that keeps them here. Perhaps bring up the topic with her?$ Alyssa hissed under her breath. The girl snarled, sending a crimson red spell at the Queen of Serpents. Her thick skin certainly protected Alyssa from the worst of the curse, but her pained hiss was enough to make me want to strangle the red-head.

$You will respect me! And you will obey me.$ The girl warned. $So. Off you go now.$

Alyssa hissed miserably, swinging her yellow gaze on me, pain and regret in the familiar deadly orbs. Then she slithered off, waving her tail angrily and crushing a snake statue in the process. Taking off at a run, I followed her, grabbing on to Alyssa's tail to hitch a ride up the pipes. Alyssa was letting out a stream of curses about the red head. I couldn't help but fully agree with her.

When we exited the pipes I recognised the familiar hallway outside the library. I shifted uneasily, knowing how busy this hallway got. If Alyssa wasn't careful...

Suddenly a familiar voice made my blood run cold. I tried to grab Alyssa, to pull her back, pull her away, but I wasn't really there. She may be able to feel my presence, but my friend was deaf to my shouts, and my hands, which had been able to grab hold of her earlier to tag a ride, slipped through her body.

The voice got louder, talking to somebody else – presumably an older year judging from the slightly deeper voice that replied. I didn't hear the words, just the familiar tones of the voice I knew so well.

A shiny bronze dagger appeared from around a corner, and two pairs of eyes – one grey and one blue – reflected in the shiny surface. I screamed as the dagger and the hand holding it fell to the floor, followed by her body. I rushed to her side, going to sweep away Luna and Annabeth's long blonde hair before remembering that I couldn't, and so merely stroked it instead. Beside Annabeth and Luna, another Ravenclaw – Penelope Clearwater I think it was – was on the floor too. Two more paralysed. Two more to the growing number of victims. First there had been Mrs Norris, then a couple of weeks later a first year Gryffindor – Colin Creevey – had been found, his hands still clasping his camera to his face. That had been back in November though, and the teachers and students had grown complacent in the lack of attacks.