Chapter 4

(Edited: 17/07/2020)

Chapter 4

Harry's Point of View

We ran for a long time, round and round the twisting stone corridors, past thousands of paintings, up numerous staircases, through hundreds of doors... It all started to look the same after a while. Eventually we collapsed in a heap on the floor sobbing. We had absolutely no idea where we were. It was very dark and cold, however, and the guttering torches did little to ease our despairing thoughts.

They'd never want us now. We'd be sent home. Back to the library. Back to the silence and loneliness that had been our 'childhood.' What was the point in even coming here? Nobody had ever cared about us, and even if they had... well, they'd left us eventually.

The cold began to seep into our bones and we began shivering uncontrollably.

'Harry.' Percy's voice was weak and childish. 'Harry I'm scared.'

'I know.' I retreated into the dark caverns of our mind to join him. I embraced my brother's consciousness in an attempt to share what little warmth I had with him. 'I'm scared too. But at least we're not there, with all those horrible stares and the teachers who distrust us.'

We lay together for a long time, sheltered in the back of our mind. Too long. Feeling was slowly leaving our limbs as the cold froze our nerves and slowed our reactions. Eventually we slipped into a deep sleep, basking in the comfort that the warm embrace of sleep brought.

When we woke it was very bright. Very bright, and very white. I mumbled incoherently and tried to move away from that painful light that was driving daggers into our eyes but a hand on our shoulder prevented me from doing so.

'Percy?' I asked for my brother, suddenly aware of the silence from him. A soft snore drifted back to me from his consciousness and a small smile twitched our lips. He was just asleep. All was well.

"I know you're awake, Mr Potter."

The voice was female, and very strict, with a note of annoyance sharpening it.

"So do I." I muttered back. "Though Percy isn't, so I guess you could say we're only half awake."

A small giggle slipped out our mouth at my joke. From the huff that came from the woman, she didn't find it amusing.

"So, I take it you're Harry, then?"

"U-huh." I opened our eyes fully now, squinting against the light. Slowly our vision came into focus. A short woman in a mediwitch outfit stood next to us, her lips tight with what I assumed was disapproval. "You're going to lecture us, aren't you?"

It wasn't a question, not really. I knew she was going to rant at us for one thing or another; I had seen Lily wearing that look on her face too many times not to.

"What were you thinking of, running away like that?" She burst. "You sent all the staff into a panic. It took us hours to find you. Hours. And for what? To find you half-frozen to death in the bowels of the dungeons. Why, if the Bloody Baron hadn't been passing by when he had... You do realise that you could have died?"

I took a deep breath. "But we damaged the hall." I stated, confused. "Shouldn't you be mad at us for damaging the hall and attacking the headmaster?"

She gave me a look of pure confusion and I frowned. "Mr Potter, are you implying that you ran away because you thought we would hurt you over a bit of broken glass? Dumbledore's fine, he's suffered much worse than being thrown back a few feet. As for the glass... nothing a simple 'reparo' couldn't fix."