one

I peaked my head around the corner

I peaked my head around the corner. Lady Jessica continued her pacing in front of her waiting chambers. I felt my stomach sink at the sight of her sullen expression.

I hadn't found Paul in his usual study this morning, so I went to find him. I found his mother in her current state, a condition I never knew she was capable of. I approached her to ask if Paul was in training, but she dismissed me rather quickly.

"You can't be here, Ophelia." She whispered in a panic, holding her hands together tightly as she stared at the ground. "Paul is... occupied."

I didn't press any further, her tone alarming me enough. I was taken back by her words, never having been addressed as such. I nodded and quickly made my way down the length of the corridor and turned the corner.

I couldn't disobey her, but I couldn't let myself leave entirely. I worried for Paul. If Lady Jessica was worried, then there was a strong chance things were not alright. It made me sick.

I pressed my back against the wall before sneaking another look. I could see her eyes shut as she mumbled something under her breath.

I returned my eyes to the floor in front of me and clenched my fists. I couldn't imagine what kind of power would be enough to frighten a Bene Gesserit.

I snuck another look back at her, but she was gone. My heart sped up in a panic. Did they leave? Did something happen?

I rushed down the corridor before coming to a hesitant stop in front of the door. I wasn't sure to go in or not. I felt it would be inappropriate to enter, so I held my ear to the side of the door. I could hear the sound of quiet voices on the other side, but nothing audible.

I jumped as the door opened, revealing non other than Lady Jessica once more. I stumbled backwards, trying to find the right words.

"I-I didn't meant to interrupt-" I stuttered.

She put her hand on my shoulder, cutting me off and surprising me with a smile. "It's alright, dear. Everything is alright."

She let out a breath before making her way past me before I could react. I was confused by her sudden change in expression and I wanted to ask her about Paul, but I jumped at the sound of the door opening again.

I whipped my head around to see Paul exiting the waiting chambers. 

He raised his brows at the sight of me, clearly surprised to see me. "Lia?"

I stared back at him hesitantly, unsure of what had happened. "What is it? Is everything alright?"

I looked him up and down. He seemed fine, his clothes were still pressed and he showed no sign of physical harm. One look at his face though, and the bead of sweat collecting on his forehead was enough to tell me something happened.

He quickly looked back towards the closed door before gently taking hold of my arm to guide me away. "It was the Reverend Mother."

The Reverend Mother. Such a powerful person, it was terrifying to even know I was within her vicinity. I couldn't imagine the fear Paul must have felt in her presence.

I must have responded with a strong reaction because he was quick to say, "Everything has been sorted out."

I bit my lip. "What... did she want?"

Paul was always good at concealing his emotions, but he couldn't hide the fear in his voice. "She wanted to test me."

I had no idea what that meant, but I knew it couldn't have been good. "So... you passed?"

He nodded and pursed his lips. "It was painful."

I pulled him into a hug and held him tightly. I could feel him wrapping his arms around me in return, trying not to lose his brave face.

"I don't really want to talk about it." He said in a monotone voice. 

I nodded. "Of course." 

"Could we train instead?" He questioned.

I smiled. "I like  that idea."

***

 sorry for the short quick chapter! i actually wrote this a bit drunk lol and need to go to bed because its 3am, but i decided it would be great to start a dune fanfic! stay tuned, i swear this will get better. ill be sure to keep going when im sober lmao. for now, let me know what you wanna read and i hope you enjoy!

with love,
via <3