forty

I looked around at the vast desert that surrounded us

I looked around at the vast desert that surrounded us. I felt so insignificant being at the centre of an endless barren of land. Even through the dark I could make out the shape of the dunes running along the horizon with nothing but the dim moonlight to help me see. I looked over at my side where Jessica stood, Alia in her arms. Chani was at my other side, along with the other members of the sietch. 

We used small sheets to dress Alia in a miniature toga while Jessica wore her Bene Gesserit tunic. Alia had already grown so much in the span of a few days, but we weren't worried about her just yet. I looked down at my own robe which was a simple wrap-around covering. It wasn't much, but we made do with what we had.

Chani caught my eye and smiled. She raised her hand to tuck one of my stray hairs aside, her fingers brushing against Paul's water rings that had been braided into my hair. I whispered a thanks to my friend.

Our lives were still at risk and war was threatening us at every moment, but Paul insisted on a ceremony. I told him we couldn't risk ourselves for something so vain, but he argued there was no better time to do it. Anyone could die tomorrow. He was right so I relented.

Everything already felt magical as we stood waiting underneath the night sky. I stared at the air above us which was clear and full of stars. I never got the chance to admire the sky from Caladan or Arrakeen because of our sever light pollution so I had no idea that the stars could look this bright so far away from the city.

The sound of a small cry caught my attention. I would hear that sound from anywhere. My eyes traveled to a few ways away from where we stood and I could see my father holding my baby Leto in his arms, Stilgar beside him. The two of them accompanied Paul on either side as they moved in our direction across the sand.

It felt strange being out in the middle of the desert. Most of my time out here had been spent running for my life, but right now I felt nothing but peace. I was living in a new world with people whose friendship I valued and a family I didn't know I needed.

Paul wasn't in his Stillsuit either. Instead he was dressed in a variation of the traditional attire I've seen him wear back on Caladan, but this time with a Fremen touch. From across the open sand he caught my eye and flashed me with his signature smile. I couldn't help but blush.

I held his gaze and found myself melting all over. He looked so much older, more mature. He looked like a Duke. I was so distracted by my lover that I completely forgot the presence of our sietch standing behind me.

We all waited patiently for Paul to finally reach me. He extended his arms to take my hands in his while our family settled on either side of us. Squeezing my hand in reassurance, he leaned forward to press his forehead to mine.

"You look beautiful." He whispered. I looked up at him through my lashes and could have sworn I saw stars in his eyes. 

"So do you." I grinned and pulled away in time to nod at Stilgar who found his spot beside us.