nine

I chased after the guards

I chased after the guards. I could hear Yuma calling after me in confusion but I didn't stop. I followed them in the direction of Paul's room, sprinting through the hall and trying not to slip on the carpet. It was broad daylight and in the safety of the palace, was there truly any way for him to be hurt? No, I told myself. It couldn't be anything serious.

My worries melted instantly at the sight of Paul. He was biting his nail while he paced back and forth in front of his room, the guards were speaking to each other beside him. I was relived to know he clearly hadn't been physically hurt.

"Paul," I called to him worriedly. His eyes snapped to me and his nervous expression was soon replaced with a face of relief.

He opened his arms to welcome me in a hug. I wrapped my arms tightly around him and pulled him close.

"What happened?" I asked into his chest. "The guards were running to your room, I was so worried something bad had happened. Is everything alright?"

He tightened his grip on me. "I'm fine now, but there was a hunter-seeker that found its way into my room. It nearly got me but I stopped it."

I pulled back and made a face. "A hunter-seeker?" I shook my head, panicked. "Those are almost impossible to escape. Are you sure you're okay?" 

He nodded and made an attempt at a smile but I could sense that it drained him. "I'm okay, I promise. Just pretty shaken up about the whole thing."

I nodded sympathetically. My thoughts went to a hunter-seeker, how deadly those things could be. They were the size of a small bug but moved silently and they moved fast. I cringed at the idea of something like that going after me, or the Duke, or anyone other than Paul. I was confident that was one thing I'd never be able to escape on my own. I don't think anyone would be able to escape a hunter-seeker other than Paul.

I did another once over on him, unable to believe he'd escaped unscathed. "You feel fine? No pain? Cuts? Scratches."

He shook his head no and laughed. "No, I'm okay."

The sound of some guards shouting caught our attention and the two of us turned to the Duke marching towards us. I stepped back to let him have a moment with his son who he quickly pulled into his arms in a manner similar to mine.

"You alright, son?" he asked him roughly. Paul responded with a nod, most likely tired of the redundant questions.

The Duke turned back to his guards. "The operator must be nearby. Find him. Now!"

He left as quickly as he came. The guards around us scrambled to occupy themselves, some of them running off to search for an operator and others stayed back to make note of the damage done to Paul's room.

"Keep your shield on standby," Paul gave me a pointed look. "I mean that, I'm serious. I didn't have mine on me today and that could've made the difference of my life or death."

I nodded, not wanting to question him. My days were typically uneventful so I had no need to cary any sort of equipment on me but I made note to pocked one of my shields for easy access when I got the chance.

My best friend could have died today. The thought made me  feel sick. Could I had done anything to prevent this? Could I had helped him if I was there?

"Paul, your father has requested your presence in his office." Hawat's voice pulled me out of my thoughts. I shared a look with my friend before he gave me a small nod of encouragement, letting me know he'd be okay.

"We'll talk later." Paul assured me. "I'm okay, remember that."

I watched as he made his way to down the hall in the direction of the Duke's office. I jumped at the sound of someone clearing their throat. 

My attention snapped back to the Mentat who eyed me nervously. "Miss, would it be possible for me to have a quick word with you?"

I nodded. He gestured for us to move to the side of the hall, out of reach and hearing of a passerby. 

Hawat looked me up and down before hesitantly speaking. "Have you considered what I said before, Miss Halleck?"

I didn't want to be having this conversation, not when I didn't know what I wanted yet. My mind was already occupied at the moment by other matters. I stuttered, unsure of what to say.

"I don't know..." I trailed off, not having thought about it. "I don't even know anything about him."

Hawat nodded in a seemingly relatable manner. "I understand completely. I've already mentioned you to Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen and he is open to meeting you. You'd be allowed to meet with him first before making any permanent decisions, nothing needs to be set in stone."

My reluctancy must have have been obvious because he continued in his attempt to reassure me.

"There's no pressure, miss," He smiled. "But I want you to know that if you were to pursue Feyd-Rautha, you might be amazed at how easy you change his mind."

Hawat smiled before turning to make his way in the other direction. I considered the state of our politics at the moment. I finally understood the gravity of the Harkonnen's anger, having their planet stripped from them and handed to us. That knowledge felt as though someone had removed a blindfold from my eyes and I was seeing for the first time. 

Will we ever find an end to this political feud? What if the Atreides family became hurt? What if Paul got hurt? He could have died today, and I felt sick knowing I couldn't do anything to stop it.

Or could I?

"Hawat?" I called out to him.

He was a few feet away. He turned back to face me. "Yes?"

I swallowed. "I'll meet Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen."

***

hehe i guess we'll get to meet him soon. i wonder what he'll be like...? do you guys have any guesses? hopes? dreams?

hope you enjoyed this one!! lmk as always

with love,
via <3