twenty

"I'm glad I got to see you today

"I'm glad I got to see you today." I told Paul.

The two of us were sitting outside on one of the balconies, seated on a bench. Our afternoon passed rather quickly, much faster than I had hoped. I felt as though I barely had enough time to truly enjoy the company of my friends and family before I had to leave.

Seeing my dad lifted a weight I didn't know I was carrying. I think I felt a lot of guilt for leaving him here on Arrakis without me for the first time in our lives, but seeing him happy and enjoying his work reassured me that he didn't need me to be there all of the time for him to be happy. 

The Duke and Lady Jessica were lovely to see again. We all ate a late lunch together, the five of us, just like old times. They asked a few questions about Feyd and I answered them, but I could see the topic visibly made Paul uncomfortable so we dropped it.

"I'm glad I got to see you, too." Paul responded. I could sense his gaze on me.

I sighed as I stared at the setting sunset, knowing my day was coming to an end. "I should go soon."

He stared at me sadly and reached for my hand. "I don't want you to leave."

I frowned and looked down at our intertwined fingers. "I don't want to leave either."

"Then don't." He argued. "Don't go back. Stay here."

I shook my head and looked away, letting go of his hand. "I have to go back. You know that. I've already agreed to marry Feyd-Rautha."

He took hold of my hand again and held it between his two palms, bringing my fingertips to his lips as he rested his elbows on his thighs. "You can't leave, Lia. It's about more than marrying that Harkonnen. I need you near me, I can't explain it but... Something is telling us to stay together. I know you feel it too."

He was right, I felt it too. I didn't have the right words to describe the feeling, but somehow I knew the universe needed me to stay. The moment I stepped onto Arrakis and felt the comfort of Paul's arms... It felt as though something inside me was drawn to Paul. I was being pulled towards him and I had to fight this force every time I stepped away from his touch.

"You know I can't stay." I whispered and leaned my head into his shoulder.

He sighed and shook his head. "I think it has something to do with... Prajna-"

"Bene Gesserit training?" I interrupted and shot him a look as if the suggestion were ridiculous. "You're trying to suggest there's a greater purpose behind these feelings?" I shook my head. "Paul, what we feel is... natural. Of course we want to be around each other all the time."

He stared at me for a moment before looking back down at our hands.

"Lia," He looked up to meet my eyes again. "I'm in love with you."

My eyes widened and I sat there in shock, not knowing what to say. His revelation came to me as a surprise. I never expected Paul to say such a thing to me, but now that he had, I wasn't sure how to feel.