seven

The move to Arrakis didn't take long

The move to Arrakis didn't take long. Saying goodbye to my childhood home was difficult, but I was comforted that I got to bring a piece of it with me to my new home. Paul. With him, I'll always have something to remind me of my youth.

I didn't expect the sun to be as bright as it was. Of course I knew it would be much hotter than it was on Caladan, but it never occurred to me how blinding the sun would be when I tried to go anywhere outside. I opted to wear my head covering whenever I stepped outside of the safety of the indoors.

Arrakeen was a beautiful city and I agreed with Duke Leto's choice to inhabit the desert city. I was amazed by the ingenuity and architecture of the old buildings. I became excited at the thought of learn and explore the mysterious planet of Arrakis.

My father was right. From the moment we reached the palace Paul was busy with countless duties. A week in and I would only see him for minutes at a time whether it be passing him in the halls or eating dinner with him until he was rushed to his next meeting. 

My life had become a lot more dull without the excitement of Paul. I continued my studies, although at this point there wasn't a whole lot else to learn. I watched over the lessons I had neglected on Arrakis, wanting to catch up to Paul's level. 

I wandered through one of the halls, making note of where they had decided to place the old paintings and furniture from Castle Caladan in this new palace. The Arrakeen Palace was more than twice the size of Castle Caladan, with ceilings so tall I was certain a cloud could touch it.

I realized that I had very little to contribute to the House of Atreides. While everyone was out trying to either promote the spice production or settle political conflict, I had the luxury of finding different ways to keep myself occupied. I wondered to myself if there was any reason for them to keep me around anymore now that Paul was no longer in need of company.

Obviously I knew I was nothing short of family to the Atreides, they would never remove me from their home or ask me to take on a role. I still couldn't help but feel useless and I wanted to contribute something to my House but how could I? I was too young to fulfill a mentor role, smart but not educated enough to teach, skilled but too unexperienced for combat. How could I give back to the family who has loved me like their own for all these years?

"Ophelia."

My thoughts were interrupted at the sound of a familiar gentle voice. I looked over to see Lady Jessica a few meters away from where I stood, smiling.

"Lady Jessica," I greeted. "How are you?"

She sighed. "Busy as every, but it's to be expected until we get everything settled."

I nodded, although I felt guilty for being unable to relate. There was nothing keeping my busy compared to everyone else.

The Gene Besserit looked around before returning her eyes on me. "Would you like to accompany me on a walk around Arrakeen Palace? I'm still familiarizing myself with the layout, I find it easy to get lost."

"Of course." I smiled at her and took her arm, knowing very well she already familiar with the palace.

I led her, or perhaps she led me towards the balcony. It was still early morning so the sun hadn't reached its peak yet and we were safe in the shade of the roof.

"It's beautiful, don't you think?" She asked me.

Our view looked onto the rest of Arrakeen. From where we stood I could see the city below us working in the heat of the sun. I wondered if Paul was among them.

"It's magnificent," I agreed in awe. "Does the Duke think so as well?"

She tilted her head. "Yes, Leto would agree... although he would mention his dissatisfaction with the quality of our spice production."

I made a face. "What would that have to do anything?"

The Lady sighed. "Well, the palace itself is incredible, but it's also very deceiving considering the equipment the Harkonnens left for us. From what he has mentioned, everything is old and breaking down as we speak."

The mention of the Harkonnens was a surprise to me. I was unaware they had anything to do with Arrakis.

"The Harkonnens?" I asked her.

She nodded. "The used to control the spice production until the Emperor requested that the House of Atreides take over." She shook her head sadly. "Unfortunately, I am confident that decision had made things worse in our relationship with them."

I stared at the ground, feeling stupid for not knowing this before. I was grateful for Lady Jessica, who never made me feel behind or lesser than. She knew exactly what to say and how to say it.

I thought of Paul. Would he have filled me in on all of these things? What trips has he gone on so far? Was he doing okay? 

The two of us watched the city move below us in silence. My thoughts remained on Paul and when i'd be able to see him next.

"I've been meaning to ask you something." Lady Jessica broke the silence. "About that evening near the gardens."

I nodded. "Yes?"

She inhaled and looked at me. "How did you know who he was before he revealed himself?"

I stopped to consider this. "I wouldn't say I knew who he was," I told her. "But I just had this feeling something was off. I was cautious."

She stared at me, considering this. "Could you describe what you mean when you say something felt off?"

I shrugged. "He made me feel... cold?" I shook my head. "It sounds stupid. It was just this instinct that made me feel a little nervous."

She stared at me intently. "That's not stupid at all." She commented. She looked over her shoulder and her eyes swept the city before coming back to me. "I have something to do. Pardon me."

The Lady quickly excused herself, leaving me on the balcony alone and unsure of what just happened.

***

how are we doing today lovelies? sorry for the lack of paul content in this one, i swear he'll be in it tomorrow 

as always let me know what you think! if you liked it consider leave a vote or comment :)

with love,
via <3