sixteen

"Is it too much?" I asked Yuma as I checked myself over in the mirror

She smiled from behind me. "You look lovely, Miss."

She was right, I looked pretty nice. She had dressed me in a loose baby blue satin dressed that pressed against my curves. I'd never worn something as nice as this, I didn't even realize I was capable of looking this good. I grinned at my reflection, feeling confident.

"Thank you for helping me out Yuma." I turned to thank her.

She nodded. I came here alone, but Yuma followed me. There wasn't really any reason for her not to, her purpose on Arrakis was to give me a friend so of course it made sense for her to follow me where I'd really need some company. She made things easier for me, too. She did the hard part of picket out my outfits for the different occasions . Tonight's special event; dinner with Feyd-Rautha.

I sat on the ottoman that faced my vanity while Yuma rummaged through the collection of jewellery I had yet to unpack. I watched her curiously, my gaze attracted to her bright blue eyes.

"Yuma?" I asked her. "Does it bother you to leave your home planet?"

She looked up to meet my eyes. "Of course. I miss the desert and I miss the sun. It's very dark and wet on this planet." She scrunched her nose in disgust. "I wish it was warmer here. But I'm glad I can accompany you here." Her expression softened and she picked up a bracelet from one of the travel bags. "I admire your courage, Miss Lia. It is an honour to be your friend."

She handed me the familiar black bracelet and slipped it onto my left wrist. I looked down at it and touched the grey rock but jumped in my seat as it lit up. I laughed to myself, forgetting it did that.

"You almost forgot your special bracelet." She told me. 

"Special bracelet?" I repeated and sent her a curious look.

We both looked down at my bracelet again to see it blink with light, indicating a response from the receiver. My heart picked up at the sight of the glowing rock, knowing Paul was on the other side.

She smiled. "From your special friend, of course."

I blushed, but if Yuma noticed she didn't mention it. I stood up and took another look in the mirror hoping I wasn't overdressed for a dinner with my future husband.

"Are you nervous?" She asked me as she peered over my shoulder.

I shook my head. "Of course not, this will just be the first time seeing Feyd-Rautha since I agreed to move here and marry him."

Yuma ignored my sarcasm. Instead she straightened out the bottom hem of my dress as a final touch before stepping back to admire her work.

"Your outfit is perfect." She gushed. 

I stared at my reflection again. It felt odd seeing myself like this, dressed up and well kept. Whenever we had a formal event to attend back on Caladan we were required to wear either a uniform or an outfit much more conservative than this.