twenty two

I cursed Feyd silently a hundred times over

I trusted you! I wanted to scream at him. You promised me you'd keep them safe! 

Whatever grief I felt for mine and Feyd's friendship was entirely overshadowed by my intense rage. How dare he, how dare anyone threaten my family? My people?

I touched my bracelet to let Paul know I was thinking of him. I wish there was a way of warning him, but how could I? There was no way of contacting him.

"What did he say?" Yuma asked me with worried eyes. "Will he stop them?"

I shook my head gravely. "He's the one who started this."

Her eyes darkened as the realization set in. Feyd wasn't the hero I thought him to be. His Harkonnen motives were just as selfish as we learned in our history books. He wasn't acting in the best interest of his people, his motives were completely self-serving. 

I can't live in a world where you'd pick him over me

This was all over... me? He was willing to advise in favour of a war between our houses just because he wanted me to himself?

I wanted to reject that idea, but I knew that was essentially his reason for starting a war. So he could eliminate his competition. So he could eliminate Paul.

I clenched my fists at the thought. If Feyd-Rautha wanted to win my affection, that had nothing to do with Paul and everything to do with me. So then why was he off to fight a man who had nothing to do with this?

Because all that men have is the audacity, that's why.

Screw his masculinity! If he wanted to win the girl then why the hell would he start a war! Men are blind. If he wanted even a fighting chance, then he could have turned his attention to me and spared hundreds of lives in the process.

Without thinking my eyes settled on one of the ornithopters parked at the corner of the runway. I found my feet moving me in the direction of the aircraft.

Yuma chased after me, calling my name. I ignored her protests and let myself into the pilot's seat.

"What are you doing, Ophelia?" Yuma demanded as she opened the door to face me.

I played with the controls, not meeting her eyes. "I'm going to Arrakis."

To my surprise, Yuma opened the door all the way to let herself inside. She took the seat beside me and I scowled at her.

"You're not coming." I told her. "That's an order."

"You want me to stay here?" She challenged me with an assertive tone. "On a planet I'm not familiar with? Serve the people that attack my home?" She shook her head. "You'll need help from someone who knows the desert, my lady. I can help."

I stared at her for a moment. She stared at me fiercely and I admired her courage, but I could also see the pleading in her eyes.  I sighed. "Fine. But you listen and obey everything I tell you, okay?"