18 | It's Scorched

______________

In My Blood by Shawn Mendes

"Sometimes I feel like giving up, but I just can't

"Sometimes I feel like giving up, but I just can't. It isn't in my blood."

______________

Y/N woke up with big strong arms around her frame; Minho was spooning her. The sound of paper crinkling woke her up; she looked over at the bag and saw a crow trying to steal a map from them. She jumped up and shooed it away, then looked around as the sun shined down on them.

Newt looked over at the girl, "are they gone?"

"Yeah, they won't be out here during the day; we're safe. Okay, let's get moving, pack it up."

Winston tried to sit up but grunted in pain; Frypan helped him up as they followed Y/N out of the old parking lot building, walking through the city.

Y/N led the group down the path when Fry asked, "what the hell happened to this place?"

Newt looked over at him, "I don't know; it doesn't look like anybody's been here in a long time."

"It was scorched," Y/N said calmly.

"I hope the whole world isn't like this," Aris sighed.

"It's not," she shook her head and looked back at the group, "some places have fruit trees and the beautiful ocean, it's like a paradise, a safe place. I was born there, but moved back out here when my parents were needed," she shrugged.

"Will we ever go there?"

"Aris, I promise, I'll take you there," she smiled and met Minho's eyes as she nodded. She looked back ahead of her but froze when she heard something.

"You good," Fry asked.

"Whoa, hang on, stop. You hear that?" Y/N froze and looked up, "everyone hide, it's a WICKED cargo plane!" Y/N pushed some of her friends as they hid under some rubble.

"They're never gonna stop looking for use, are they?" Minho sighed.

"Not until I ki- never mind, let's just go," Y/N shook her head and got up.

As the Gladers walked through the streets and climbed up the rumble, Y/N could tell Winston wasn't doing so well. She knew he was hit, and she knew he didn't have a lot of time, but she wouldn't kill him; he had time. Just not very much of it.

So, she started to help him and talk to him more as they walked.

When they got out of the city and ran up a giant sand dune, they saw the mountains in the distance.

"That's where we're going?" Thomas pointed to the mountains.

"Yup," Y/N nodded and popped the P.