prologue

Savannah was about to fall asleep as her English teacher drowned on about a random novel

Savannah was about to fall asleep as her English teacher drowned on about a random novel. She glanced to Derek to see him in the same state that she is. But before she could fully fall asleep, the intercom went off. 

"Derek Hale and Savannah Ray to the principal's office please," the monotone secretary spoke. The two best friends glanced at each other before gathering their bags and walking out the door toward the office together. 

Derek could hear the girl's fast and worried heartbeat as the walked down the silent hallway, causing him to lace his fingers with her. Savannah let out a breath and sent Derek a small smile as they got to the main office. When they entered they saw Laura already sitting there, anxiously tapping her foot. 

"Laura?" Savannah approached the girl. "What's going on?" Laura looked up at the two with tears in her eyes.

"We have to go. We have to go right now," Laura demanded, grabbing their hands and pulling them toward the door.

"Wait," Derek stopped moving, pulling the girls to a hault. "What happened."

"The-there was a fire. A- Argents," Laura cried.

"What?" Sav breathed out, clutching to Derek's hand.

"We have to go. I don't know who made it," Laura said. 

The three teens ran out of Beacon Hills High, ignoring any teachers trying to stop them. They didn't waste time getting into their cars but instead started running. The moment they got into the woods, Savannah raised herself into the air and the wolves broke into a sprint. Rushing as fast as possible toward the Hale house. 

When they arrived, all Savannah could see were flashing lights and smoke. She lowered herself to the ground between Derek and Laura as they got closer to the house. Almost nothing remained just charred wood and black smoke. Derek tried to run into the house, to save anyone. But Savannah quickly jumped in front of him to hold him back. 

"No. No, no, no, Derek. You can't go in there," she panted.

"Savannah let me go!" He exclaimed, tears forming in his eyes. 

"Derek it's no use. You'll just get hurt! And we can't lose you too. I can't lose you," Savannah begged. Soon enough, Derek broke down in her arms. Sav immediately wrapped her arms around the boy as he cried into her shoulder, holding tightly to the witch. She tried her best to comfort him as she ran her fingers through his hair. 

"I've got one! He's got a heartbeat! It's faint but it's there!" A paramedic shouted. The three teens' heads snapped to three EMTs pulling a person out of the house on a gurney and pushing it toward an ambulance.

"Oh my god," Savannah mumbled. Before they could react, Laura broke off into a sprint toward the person. 

"Laura!" Derek exclaimed. 

"It's Peter! Stay here! I'm going with him!" she shouted back. 

"Call us as soon as you know something," Savannah told her. Laura responded with a nod before running toward her uncle. "Derek," Savannah spoke softly, taking his face in her hands. 

"I- I- I don't," he tried to speak.

"It's okay," Savannah soothed.

"No- no. No it's not! It's not okay Sav! My family! My- my mom! Cora! It's my fault!" he cried. 

"No. Don't say that. It's not your fault," Savannah denied. 

"It was the Argents. It was Kate," He whispered.

"Hey. Hey. Look at me," Sav grabbed his head, preventing him from turning away from her. "In the eyes," She stated and as he looked at her, her eyes filled with red. "None of this is your fault. She tricked you. She's the psycho, not you. She's the killer."

"I killed someone," Derek whispered, flashing his blue eyes for a moment before they went back to the watery green. 

"Paige doesn't count and you know it."

///\\\

It's been two weeks since the fire and nothing has been the same. Derek has hardly spoken. Laura doesn't go to school anymore. She's been too busy searching for any survivors and trying to understand her new role as alpha. And Savannah has been trying to fix everyone. 

"Sav!" Derek called out, opening the front door to the Ray house.

"Derek?" the witch called back. She heard him run up her stairs and soon enough he burst into her bedroom. She looked up at the boy to see he had tears in his eyes. "Der? Der what's wrong?" she asked standing from her bed and approaching him.

"I- I can't stay here. It's too much. Everywhere I look, it's another reminder. There's another person whispering about the fire. A-a-and they don't think that I can hear them but I have werewolf hearing and I-" 

Savannah cut Derek off by pulling him into a hug. "I know, okay? It's awful that this happened. It shouldn't happen to anyone especially you. But it happened. Now we have to decide what to do next," she pulled away from the hug and looked him in the eyes. 

"I wanna leave. I want a fresh start where no one knows me or what happened."

"Okay, you wanna leave. There's one issue there. We're juniors. You can't leave right now. You need to graduate, okay? Have you told Laura this?"

"No. I haven't told Laura. You're the only one I've told. And I know it's impossible but Sav," he grabbed her hands, "I can't stay here. It's too much."

///\\\

And that's what he did. Within the week, Derek and Laura left, they had moved across the country. And as much as it hurt, Savannah let them leave. Derek and Savannah vowed to stay in contact but they both knew it wouldn't last. That's when the whispers shifted. Since they couldn't talk about the Hales anymore, the other students started talking about Savannah. But this is where the girl's kindness comes through. Even when the nastiest things are being said about her, she would rather it be her than them. 

But senior year came and went quickly and soon enough, Savannah had graduated. But with turning 18 came a whole new problem for Savannah. Her power was growing. And Savannah didn't know how to control it. And since her anchor had moved across the country, she was forced to struggle through it alone. So her best idea was to get out of Beacon Hills. But Savannah didn't go across the country. Savannah simply went to a small, almost abandoned town in Washington. Using the trust fund her birth parents left her, she was able to buy a small house and live on her own. 

Savannah was doing well. She had recently turned 22 and was controlling her powers well. But her life changed again when she got a call from Laura asking for her help back in the one place they vowed to never return to. Beacon Hills.