[Chapter 3] - Breakthrough

(POV - 3RD)

"RISE!" A voice firmly chanted through the forest of the mountains near Soukai City.

In an instant, a large rock pillar erupted from the ground and within the middle of the undergrowth where the perpetrator of the incantation studiously stood with a book.

"Hm... the height and width hasn't increase much but..." Y/N began as he took the measurement of the pillar with a convenient measuring tape.

Today is Sunday, which marks the ending of the weekends and starting from yesterday, Y/N had been trying to garner more power from the chess piece absorbed by him from within his body. However, the progress was tantalizingly slow much to his chagrin.

"Even if it's been increased just by a few centimetres... it's a sign of improvement..." The time traveller muttered before looking back.

Where tens and more pillars stood, each differently sized.

Y/N grimaced slightly, while this form of improvement was a good sign to his growing powers, it still didn't make him forget about his attempt to solidify a shield around himself as protection.

Unlike Morax, whose shield is nigh indestructible as far as he knows, Y/N's shield is completely and utter rubbish in comparison since one smack from the swinging logs shattered it.

The Einherjar/Knight still feels phantom pains in his forearms where he blocked the logs.

However, like every other people, failure is a step to success, should he give up now then all his efforts to change the future and this past would be all for nought.

Speaking of the past, turns out Y/N was sent back into the past where the Honkai outbreak in Nagazora city has yet to happen, but if his memory proves right then it's only a matter of time.

It is also a year before the gigantic unknown battleship hovered over the city as well.

Though he wasn't sure what exactly was the situation up there but a swarm of Honkai beasts entered the Soukai City and caused a mass panic among the civilians. He remembers since he was one of the deployed Valkyries during the outbreak.

Fortunately, the mortality rates were low and the battleship soon hovered away and the Honkai beasts were neutralized, that event also proved to be quite an experience for him... but it was just the tip of the iceberg.

Which is why he should stop thinking of the past and grasp reality now, after all, the past is the past and nothing can be changed unless he interferes. 

Therefore, Y/N went back to working on his flexibility.

His accumulated experiences from the countless missions from the past allowed him to fully look deeper into his skills to the point of creating a fist-fighting style for himself.

He calls it the Soryū Style; flow like water: straightforward, never jagged, never struggling. Like a flowing river that moves swiftly but turns violent upon hitting an object head on.

The Soryū Style utilizes both a user's arms and legs to unleash swift and powerful strikes that target an opponent's neck and other vital spots on the body. 

It is a style that keeps techniques simple but with high levels of power in their executions. It is overall, a very powerful and brutal style with hard defence and brutal attacks. 

This form of combat was effective in taking out zombies and lesser Honkai beasts when he didn't have a weapon, it was also good at neutralizing humans as well...

Mad cultists... assassins... rogue and deranged Valkyries lost to the Honkai madness...

Y/N sighed, his hands were stained with blood once but now he's going to stain them again all for the sake of this future, a future that looks so bleak from where he stood...