Chapter Two: The Salamanders

The walk wasn't too long as Mark and Jade made it to a small outpost. "We're here to get stuff for a list of places and actual items to help me? Then why are we here?" Mark questioned but Jade glared at him and went to the front of the outpost. "The Salamanders Are Dire To Learn The Way Of Fire" Jade invoked as the outpost turned into a door made of fire. "Whoa!" Mark said as Jade went in and Mark followed but Jade stopped him and said "Stay here. They probably won't act the same way I did to you". Mark grunted and walked away from the door as the fire snuffed out and the outpost came back into existence.

"Like I'm gonna pass up a opportunity to see this!" Mark said as he went to the outpost and said the words "The Salamanders Are Dire To Learn The Way Of Fire" with the door appearing afterwards. He grabbed the doorknob but was burned. "Tough it out Mark" Mark said as he grabbed the doorknob and opened it, feeling the pain and running into the area beyond the door. It looked like a underground civilization using giant lanterns as light sources everywhere. There were shops, stands, homes, just most of the stuff in a civilization. Along with many amphibians walking around of course.

He walked around hiding his face and height in the process. He got strange looks but passed off as normal to them. "Where is Jade?" Mark thought as he kept moving. He walked out further and went to a shop. It had stones in it and a few curses. Mark asked what he could get here and the owner replied with "Most things here are a copper. The rest is free". Mark picked a paper up with words on it. "The Breath of Fire." The owner said. "I never thought someone would even notice it. No one has for the 50 years I've been here. It seems to have found a good host though". "Host? What do you mea-" Mark was cut off as the words on the paper flew off of his hand and into the air and glowed a orange to red color and went into his mouth.

Mark coughed horribly with smoke emitting from his mouth. "What did you do to me?" Mark asked. "What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. This phrase applies to anyone who houses this curse. Over hundreds of thousands of amphibians have tried to house it but failed and died. Looks like you're a lucky one kid to be the first one to house it" the owner says as Mark passes out.

.........

Jade returns from where she was and hears talk about a strange person. "Mark. You didn't." Jade thought as she went over to the salamanders who were talking and asked "Was the person tall? And kind of pale?" "Yeah, but who are you?" The salamander said but Jade ran looking for him. She checked every shop and asked every owner if they saw him but almost all of them said no. She finally made it to the curse shop and asked the owner. "Right this way to see him." The owner said. Jade followed him and Jade saw mark lying down with rocks with runes engraved on them near him, forming a circle. "MARK!" Jade said as she was going to grab mark but was stopped by the owner with a punch.

"I can't have you do anything to the boy now can I?" The owner said. "Why are you doing this? What did he do to you!?!" Jade asked. " Nothing to me. You see, this boy must make a choice. If he screws up, we could all die. The toads, the frogs, the newts all have champions. We have hidden for too long so it's time we make our own champion" the owner said as he revealed a stone tablet showing four people and a unknown amphibian. a person with a bow, a person with a sword, another person with a sword with a composed stance, and a person with dual wielding swords, a shield, and fire. "I'm going to awaken his powers. Then I'm going to train him as our champion" the owner said.

"You're insane! Who even are you" Jade said. "I'm Quinn and Insane is just another word for person with a vision" he said as he activated the runes. They formed into a single point and shot into his chest. The box that took him here shook in response and transferred whatever gleam of energy it had left into him. Mark was shaking and Jade ran to help him but just got punched back from Quinn. Then finally, his eyes opened and released a black and purple glow from them and a ember and stopped. Mark was awake and got up.

He punched Quinn and grabbed the box and guitar and ran away with Jade. He made it through the door that took them there "YOU HAVE BEEN CURSED, DRAGON OF CALAMITY" Quinn yelled while laughing as the door closed. They kept running away until they were far enough. Jade gave. Mark the things he needed and decided his journey wasn't meant for her. They waved and Mark said "I'll be back one day!" And jade replied with a smile. He looked at the list of places and found that he was close to one of them.

Wartwood.

He was ready to go there right away as he walked all the way there, knowing Quinn was too old to have enough stamina to find him here, and kept walking towards wartwood. He could be there in two hours. So for the day he walked out to find wartwood. "Wartwood is here because of a Monster sighting apparently. One with long legs and a "face dot"" Mark said as he walked continuously. After the day passed he was at the woods near wartwood. Then he heard rustling, a fight. Mark popped his knuckles and said "I fought a giant bird and escaped a crazy old man. Whatever it is, I'm Game!" as he charged into the fight