Chapter 8: Training for the end

Mark holds his box and thinks of the tune he heard from transporting. The theme was catchy to him but was like a omen at the same time. He walked in circles.

Mark: The compass. I've been procrastinating this whole time, I should get back to work.

He threw the box up and his thumb pressed onto the gem on it. His eyes went tharn. He saw the two music boxes, four stars, the red moon falling on amphibia, and seeing everything he knew, gone, in the blink of of three red eyes.

Mark: Ahhhh!

His eyes were watering from the shear mental pain. He was going into cold sweat and his breathing was heavy. He threw the box away from himself onto the dirt.

Mark: Huff... Puff...

Mark felt a black spark light in him. The spark that would ember everlasting hatred and cruelty. His eyes glowed black and purple for a few seconds. He quickly pulled out his compass.

Mark: Quinn the salamander... Take me to him...

He blew a weak gust of wind and opened the door. On the other side, Quinn's curse shop. Mark went inside to see Quinn at the counter.

Quinn: I've been waiting kid.

Mark: I know. I know what will happen. And for that, I need to be as strong as possible.

Quinn looked at mark in surprise. He finally saw the bigger picture. He turned around and scrambled around his shop for a map and quill. He drew a few X's and words.

Quinn: Train with those swords with people I've marked here. Once done, go to the temple of hatred and get the birthright of your box. After, Wait in Newtopia, here. Do not tell anyone about this. Not the champions, not the salamanders, not frog, no one.

Mark: I got it.

Mark: grabbed the map and left. His first stop was right here. A salamander by the name of Xander. The walk was surprisingly brisk to there as it should've taken one minute. Key word. SHOULD'VE. He's a human in a town of human sized salamanders. If he transformed, he'd still stand out as more draconic than amphibian. This made the trip worse and take longer with the stares and constant harassment.

???: Hey, Mark!

Mark recognized that voice. He turned around to see jade with a smile.

Mark: Jade! Nice to see you!

Mark offered a fist bump but Jade got confused.

Mark: You don't know what this is?

Jade nodded yes.

Mark: You make a fist and then...

Jade made a fist and Mark gave a fist bump

Mark: Boom!

Jade: Oh.

Jade fist bumped mark repeatedly.

Jade: Oh, what a rush!

Mark: Haha. Anyway, I'm just walking to Xander for training.

Jade: Oh, Xander? He's at home right now.

Mark knew that he was there and would have used the compass but it needed to charge. But how did she know?

Mark: How did you know that?

Jade: He's my brother. He became pretty famous. You wouldn't believe the hordes that show up to our house

Mark: your brother's famous? For what?

Jade: There was the scourge of the sand wars, but Xander? He was the Doom of the sand wars.

Mark: Sand wars?