Alive

Chapter 8

Unknown location

Bridget woke up in a dark room. Adrenaline pumped through her vanes, her heart beating louder and faster then ever. She jolted up from the floor and tried to go to a door, five or six feet in front of her, but a chain stopped her a foot short. The drowsiness from the chloroform was pushed out of her system, temporarily by adrenaline. She yanked her arm forward but the chain around her wrist, again, stopped her. Bridget examined the chain and, with her eyes, traced it back to the brick wall behind her.

The sound of foot steps caused her to back away from the door. She, then tripped over the chain and fell to the sand floor. A small slot, about in the middle of the metal door, slid open. "Hello, sleeping beauty." Jake greeted. Bridget was sickened by his voice. She could only see his dark soulless eyes through the slot. "Where are we." Bridget demanded to know. "Where else then the large, thickly forested, crocodile infested, Everglades? Oh and you can thank me later for the little window. It's sound proof to. I put it in myself." Jake said, with enthusiasm. "What happened to Ryan?" She asked, her voice cracking when she said Ryan's name, as she kept her teeth clenched together. "He was trying to take you from me." Jake justified himself. "What did you do!?" She yelled with tears in her eyes. She clinched her fists tightly. "I killed him." He laughed. "You bastard!" Bridget yelled and threw the sand, she had trapped in her fists, at Jake. The sand hit him right in the eyes. He cried out in pain as the sand stuck in his eyes.

After the pain lowered he unlocked the metal door and walked into the room Bridget was in. Bridget quickly got to her feet to defined herself. "That was a really, really bad idea." Jake said with anger flowing into his tone. He tightened one hand around a gun and he clenched the other into a fist and walked closer to Bridget. All she could do was backup until her back hit the wall. She held up her fists, ready to fight.

Crime Lab 3:05am

So far the team had processed most of the evidence found at the scene. The muddy/sandy shoe print was from the Everglades and it contained crocodile egg shells, the bullet from the kitchen was still running in ballistics, the other blood spatter in the kitchen was Jakes, and the note Jake had left Ryan and Horatio had some kind if powder on it.

The night shift had offered their shifts to Horatio's team earlier, and you bet they jumped at the offer. "Hey Walter. Have we got anything from the trace we put on Bridget's phone?" Ryan asked, as he walked in to the trace lad. He was doing a good job at hiding his pain for someone who got knocked out and shot a few hours ago. "Nothin'. It must be off." Walter told him. "What about the powder from the note?" Ryan asked Walter. "It's actually butterfly scales." Walter told Ryan and turned around to him. "How does that help find Bridget?" Ryan asked, in an agitated tone. "Because its a Swallowtail butterfly. Witch is the second most endangered insect in Miami." Walter explained. "So if we know where they live we could track down a specific location." Ryan caught on to Walters thinking. Walter got on the computer and searched for Swallowtail sitings. Disappointment crossed both of the mens face. "Seven sitings in the Everglades in seven different locations." Walter, sadly, stated. Ryan tried to think of anything that could narrow down the search. "Wait wait wait wait, what about the crocodiles eggs?" Ryan asked. "What about 'um?" Walter wasn't following. "Cross check where crocodile lay their eggs with the butterfly sitings!" Ryan said with excitement. "One place in the Glades, right by an old tackle and bait shop." Walter said with a smile.

Everglades Tackle & Bait 3:35am

Ryan, Horatio, Eric, and a few officers crept up to the abandon shop, gun in hand, hoping to find Bridget safe inside.

Crime Lab 3:35am

Walter and Natalia sat in the trace lab, waiting for a call from Horatio, Ryan or Eric. "What kind of creep would do this?" Natalia asked, as she looked over the evidence on the table. "I mean look at these letters." She said and picked up three plastic evidence bags with letters in them. She sat the letters down -something on the letter had suddenly caught her eye as she did. She looked at the letter curiously. "What?" Walter asked, noticing her curious look. "There's something on this paper." Natalia said and looked at the other letters. "It's on all of them." She said as she examined them closer. "Yeah I know it's from the butterfly." Walter told her and turned back to the computer. "This is different. The Swallowtail butterfly is black with white strips on the sides, right?" Natalia asked. "Yeah. Why?" Walter asked and walked over to her. "There's a yellow powder on some of the corners of these letters." She said and pulled out a letter. She swobbed the yellow powder and put it into one of the analyzing devices. The computer dinged when it had a match. The two looked at the computer screen with pure shock filling them. "We go to call H. This could be a trap." Natalia told Walter and got out her cellphone. "Come on, pick up H. Pick up....." She hung up the call. "Voice mail. They must not have signal." She told Walter. "I'll try Wolfe." Walter pulled out his phone. "I'll try Eric." The two tapped their feet as they waited for an answer. "I got voice mail again." Natalia announced. "Same here." Walter said and slammed his phone down an the table. "We have to warn them."

Everglades Tackle & Bait 3:40am

The men were waiting at the back door and the officers were getting ready at the front door. "Are you ready in the front?" Horatio talked into his radio. "Ready." An officer answered. "Go in." H gave the order. Horatio, Eric, Ryan and the officers all barged into the small shop at the same time. They all met in the middle to find a dim light, that swung back and forth, shining down on a bomb with thirty seconds on the clock. "Everyone get out!" Horatio ordered. "She might be in here! We can't leave! We have to look for her." Wolfe demanded, as Eric tugged on his arm. "Come one Mr. Wolfe she's not here. We already searched the places." Horatio told Ryan. He was still very reluctant. "She isn't here. Why would he bring Bridget to the place where he put the bomb? It's just a trap to get us killed!" Eric yelled at Ryan and tried pulling him to the door. He thought it over and looked at the clock, that now had ten seconds left, and ran out the door with Horatio and Eric at his side.

The three men ran out of the tackle and bait shop, with five seconds on the clock. The large bomb went off behind them.

Unknown Location

Bridget awoke, once again, in the very dimly light room. The only light was from the moon -or what she thought was just the moon-, that came through a small window with bars and glass over it. An aching pain throbbed in the back of her head, beckoning for attention. She rubbed the back of her head gently and winced as the pain worsened. As she was doing that she noticed bruises on her arms. Her mind flashed with memories of the dead victims and what had happen sometime earlier, which just caused her head to hurt more.

With her left hand she felt her pockets and smiled when she felt her work phone -she was suddenly very happy about her strange habit of taking her Chicago PD cellphone everywhere. Before Bridget took it out she scanned over the room, looking for any cameras. When she was satisfied, she took out her phone, turned it on, and went straight to her contact list. Bridget scrolled to Horatio's number and clicked the call button. "Shit!" She hissed, when she noticed she only had one bar. That's enough to text. She thought. She looked at the door before starting her text.

Bridget scrambled up some memories of being in the trunk and getting taken out of the trunk. Sadly, the window was way to far up for her to see out of. The only thing she could see was a flashing light outside the window, but Bridget was determined to look out that window. She slowly got up from the floor, pain shooting through her body, and stood facing the wall with the small window. Bridget jumped up and tried to grab hold if the metal bars, more pain once again shot through her. She shook it off and tried again. This time her attempt was a success she grabbed on to the bars and pulled herself up to where she could just see out. She scanned the area. She could see a dirt road with tall grass on the other side, the flashing light was from a truck on the road turning down another dirt road. "576 ARD," she read and fell to the ground.

"Truck pass here dirt road 576 ARD. Sand floor brik walls metal dor bars sp glass window. Jakes c 1** AB* "

She typed all she shorts she knew and hopped they would understand. She didn't look over spelling, she just pressed send and prayed.

Everglades Tackle & Bait 4:14am

Ryan and Eric were joined by Calleigh and Natalia at the newest crime scene that Jake had caused. Horatio had headed to the lab after confirming everyone was fine. The four collected all the pieces of the bomb and then searched for more evidence that could lead to Bridget. Ryan, who had been told to take it easy by many people was probably working the hardest, mentally and physically.