Even Flow

Chapter 14

Jake was on the fourth floor. The building was under construction but it was closed today, no workers to bother him. Sheets of plastic hung from the sealing, the smell of concrete dust and power tools filled the room. There were no windows installed on this floor yet and you could feel the wind blowing throughout the building.

Jake raised his gun from where he had it perched, as smoke and gun powder went into the air. He grabbed his binoculars from a stack of gray bricks and looked into the shattered hospital window. He didn't see Horatio anywhere and Ryan was in the floor looking at something. It must be the body. Jake thought as a sinister smile grew on his face.

"I'll get some food, go see Bridget, then finish this later." He planned aloud. By this time Jake was far less drunk, almost sober. He hopped into his vehicle and drive off.

Jake stopped at a near by Walmart to get some food for the cabin. He walked down the isles, pushing a buggy in front of him. He dropped chips, soda, bottled water, popcorn, meats, cheeses, bread, and fruit in the buggy as he walked by. This supply would last him and Bridget awhile and that means he wouldn't have to come into the city as long or as often.

Jake suddenly heard his man as he walked by the electronics department. He quickly tired to investigate.

"The killer known as 'The Miami Menace', that kidnapped and killed five woman, and is also wanted for the kidnapping of and officer, has been identified as Jake Williams Wright. We do not have a picture to release yet but..." The reporter on the flat screen TV continued to talk. He rolled his eyes and laughed then made his way to the checkout line.

"They already have a name for me." He muttered with a smile planted on his face.

The Everglades 2:45pm

Bridget sat perched in a tall tree, with her cellphone in her hand. She had climbed the tree to get a better signal and it worked. She had sat in the tree waiting for Ryan or Horatio to call back, neither of them did, and they didn't answer her calls either.

She needed to move so she scaled down the tree, scraping her arms the whole way down. Her feet hit the grass and a little mud soaked through her socks. She stopped and thought about shelter. If she was going to be stuck here she may need it. The thought of shelter, or any other though, stopped when she heard a sadly familiar voice.

"Bridget!" She heard Jake shout.

Bridget looked around. Where was he coming from? She couldn't tell so she just grabbed the fire stoker she had taken from the cabin and ran. The mud and water started seeping into his socks. She repeatedly looked behind her, checking to see where Jake was, but he was no where to be seen. She continued running and dodging trees as she looked back, trying to find Jake. She looked back again, breathing rapidly, as she was looking back she ran into something hard. That caused her to fall to the ground. She looked up to find Jake staring down at her. Using her hands, Bridget pulled herself backwards with fear in her eyes. Jake looked angry.

"You don't run from me!" He shouted, causing birds to flee from their trees and bushes, and reached down to grab Bridget's arm.

Bridget quickly grabbed the rusty fire stoker that fell near her and stabbed Jake in the shoulder. He cried out in pain as she quickly pulled it out of his right shoulder. She hopped to her feet and ran past him as fast as she could.

She was panicing and she hated it. After a minute Bridget stopped dead in her tracks and looked around.

"Perfect." She muttered and ran over to a near by tree.