Freak on a Leash

Chapter 10

Truck owners house 8:17am

"Bridget?! What happened!?" Ryan asked with fear and concern in his every expression, then he angrily hung up his cellphone. He was mad at himself and Jake, which that's nothing new because its been like that from the start of this whole mess. "Damn it!" He yelled out of pure frustration. Ryan turned around and looked at Horatio with fear for Bridget overcoming his anger, smothering his other emotions. Horatio slid on his sunglasses without saying one word.

The men where at the house that the license plate number in Bridget's text had brought them to. Ryan, after cooling off, joined Horatio in the house to talk to the wife of the driver.

"When did you last see your husband?" Ryan asked with a trimmer of pain cracking his voice. The women, who looked to be in her mid to late forties, looked at him with sympathy twinkling in her blue eyes. The last thing in the world Ryan wanted right now, or for that matter ever, was sympathy. "Umm last night. But he's not supposed to be home til' 10 or so." The women explained. She thought about something for a few seconds the she had to ask. "Is Harold in some kind of trouble?" She asked about her husband. "No, but he may have witnessed something." Horatio answered. "Do you know where you husband is now?" Ryan asked, trying to get this over with as soon as possible. "He should be at work. He delivers shipments to shops." The women explained.

Unknown location

After Jake closed the door and walked away Bridget rushed over to the young girl that looked to be in her early 20's. The girl slowly opened her eyes and groaned as she became conscious. A strange feeling came over Bridget as if she knew her or something.

"Hey. Are you okay?" Bridget asked in a hushed tone. "Where am I?... Who are you?...Why am I here?" The girl asked. "I'm Bridget Smith." She answered the only question she had a clear answer for. "What's your name?" Bridget asked. "I'm Kayla Mitchell." She answered and slowly began to set up. The chloroform had not completely worn off by the looks of her.

Why was she here? What did she have to do with Ryan or me or Jake? Bridget couldn't help but think. "What happened?" Kayla asked and brushed back her dark black hair with her hand. The girl looked like Bridget when she was twenty. If someone saw them together they would probably think they where sisters. "You where kidnapped." Bridget told her in a kind of I'm sorry tone by instinct. Bridget had used that tone on many victims family members in her career as a detective and now a few times as a C.S.I. Kayla started balling her eyes out, breaking at the seams, as she sobbed and whimpered into Bridget's shoulder. Bridget lightly patted her on the back and tried to comfort her. "It's okay, it's okay. We're going to get out of her one way or another." Bridget told her. "Yo-yo-you promise?" Kayla sobbed. Bridget hesitated. Did I just really say that? How could I keep that promise to a complete stranger? Bridget asked herself. "I promise." A since of confidence lead her to say. Bridget had just noticed that Jake didn't put a cuff on Kayla. Was she less important? Less of a threat?

This is crazy! They had gotten to close, to fast! They could have found him and taken Bridget away from him! Jake thought.

"We have to leave. Yeah, leave very very soon, before they come back. Should I take Kayla? She's just a toy, really. No real meaning to me." Jake thought out loud as he paced his monitoring room. Jake began unplugging laptops and computers. Jake was a total contradiction, a computer geek with a surfer body. "I'll only take some." He declared. He had already planned for this sudden move- he always had a back-up plan. Hell even his back-up plans had back-up plans.

After awhile Bridget was conflicted. Should she tell the girl everything? Should she explain why their both in this mess? The lest Bridget could tell her was about her cellphone.

Bridget huffed and looked up at Kayla with sorrow. The only good thing that came from this was that Bridget now had some help. "Kayla, can I trust you with something?" Bridget asked in a whisper. Kayla nodded her head. "No matter what happens you can't tell the man how brought you here about this. Okay?" Bridget had to be sure. "I understand." Kayla whispered. I have a cellphone with me. I've been using it to contact my friends at the police department-" A strange expression crossed Kayla. "Are you a police officer?" Kayla interrupted. "Yes. I'll explain that later. But I need you to guard me whenever I call them. All you have to do is stand at the door and tell me if Jakes coming." Bridget explained. "Jake? Is that the guys name? How do you know his name?" Kayla asked. Bridget opened her mouth to answer but Jake opened the door before words could escape. Kayla quickly crawled back to the nearest corner. "I hope you girls are getting well acquainted. I brought you two some breakfast." He told the women as he carried in a Dairy Queen's bag and two drinks. He sat the bag and drinks down on the sand floor and walked out. Soon he returned with a small folded up table and two folded up chairs. He sat the table and chairs down in the middle of the floor, gabbed the bag and drinks, and sat them on the table. He smiled at Kayla and Bridget as if he was waiting for something. "Well?" His smile dropped to a frown. "Well what?" Bridget hissed. She know what he wanted her to say but she would die first. While on the other hand Kayla looked clueless. Jake smiled deviously and walked over to Bridget. She gulped and prepared herself. Jake grabbed the neck line of Bridget's worn out Chicago Bears t-shirt and pulled her up to about eye level. "Say, thank you." Jake said in a psychotic way. Bridget smirked and spit on his shoes. He looked down at his shoes and laughed. He let go of her shirt, pushed her to the ground, and walked over to Kayla. Jake pulled Kayla up by the hood of her gray jacket and put a pocket knife, that he had taken from his front pocket, to Kayla's throat. "Now what do you say?" Jake shouted, causing Kayla to flinch. "Thank you." Bridget said. "What was that?" Jake asked and cuffed a hand over one ear. "I said thank you! You psychotic son of a bitch!" Bridget yelled. He shrugged his shoulders. "Ehu, close enough." With that he dropped Kayla and walked out of the room.

Awhile after Jake left Kayla walked over to the table and looked in the bag. Her stomach growled as the smell of gravy flowed from the bag. She took a plastic box from the bag and opened it. "What are you doing? You don't know what he could have done to that food." Bridget warned. "He already kidnapped us. How could it get any worse?" Kayla asked a picked up a plastic fork. Bridget's stomach growled but she wasn't hungry enough to touch the food, or was she? She looked over to the drink on the table. Her mouth was so dry. Bridget looked at her cellphone. It's not safe yet, she thought and put the phone in her pocket.

Maybe just a sip. Yeah, that's all, just a little sip. She stood up and walked over to the table, her chain dragging behind her, where Kayla had eaten some of her breakfast. Bridget took a sip of the orange juice, then another, and another, and a few more. The orange juice tasted so good and it cooled her down some. Kayla sipped her orange juice as well. A light-headed feeling overwhelmed both Bridget and Kayla. Kayla was the first to fall to the floor. Bridget tried to talk but it came out as senseless mumbling. Jake then walked in. "Your little C.S.I 'A team' got a little to close for comfort." Jake said as Bridget's eyes slowly closed.

Crime Lab 8:50am

The truck driver was nowhere to be found, so Horatio had put out a B.O.L.O on the truck.

Ryan and Horatio stood in the trace lab waiting for results on the note. "There's traces of chemicals for bomb making all over the note." Natalia told the men. "And?" Ryan asked after a few second of science, hoping that there was more then that. "Nothing," She answered. "What do you mean?" Ryan was showing some of the anger that has been overwhelming him. "I mean nothing. I think Jake's only letting us see what we already know about him." Natalia suggested. She was as tried as anyone else, but still going strong. She rubbed her dry eyes and looked at Ryan with a caring expression. "I found out why I couldn't get a hit in on the bullet striations!" Calleigh beamed as she jogged into the trace lab. "The gun hasn't been made." She proposed. Natalia, Ryan, and even Horatio were confused.

********************************************************************************************************************************

Comments/vote!!

Quick question. Do you think the chapters are to short? And sorry if they are.