Doubts and Interrogations

Leila walked back slowly to her building, sometimes turning her head back to catch a small glimpse of Nathaniel. What was she even thinking? A guy like that would never be interested in her. She walked into the building, wanting to place everything about today in a small disk in her brain and push the delete button.

                           As Nathaniel arrived he tried desperately to ship Leila McNeil from his mind, but no matter how much he tried, he had no such luck. When he finally took a seat at his desk, he was reminded of her quaint office compared to this giant one. He looked over at his desk only to find that it was empty, no family portrait, no pictures of friends, but empty. He was an obedient child, but it didn't  mean that he liked them, and friends, he didn’t have much but he had lots of acquain He was always too busy and finishing high school early, doing sports and doing whatever his dad wanted, but he didnt  mind, he had learn to live this way and at least he had his cousin Mike. Nathaniel had dragged Mike along from Tennessee, making him his right hand man. And speaking of the devil, his cousin made a grand entrance into his office. “Nathaniel!”

“Hey Mike”

“Why so late? You’re always here on time; you can’t stretch it enough into my brain”

“You won’t believe the morning I had,” he started to explain, “I go to Starbucks to get my usual coffee when I collided with this girl”

“You met a girl!”

“No, but I ran into her, matter of fact she ran into me and we collided”

“How romantic” Mike teases

“Not likely” He says with a disgust smile.

“Why the hell not?”

“She’s a mutt. She’s black”

“So….” Mike ssaid, even though he knew of the upbringing that his aunt and uncle had instilled into his cousin. But they were in New York, and he was hopeful that Nathaniel could have his eyes opened.

“What the fuck do you mean so? you know that I don’t socialize with Negroes and mutts, but anyways she practically makes me go to her job and actually takes my measurement so she could get me a new shirt, and it was not like I could yell at her as her hands roam my body as she measured me, it would cause a scandal, and she’s going to send me a new shirt.” He told his cousin.

“That’s it?” Mike asked. “So, you don’t like ‘Negroes’ but yet you’re telling me what happened just because, how she touched you and all, I would think you would want to forget about it, but hey! I don’t know how a racist mind works”

“I am not racist! I just think that other races should not interact with each other, what’s the fucking point?”

“Ok, so are you going to forget about her?”

“That’s the fucking thing, I can’t."

              Leila walked onto her work floor and was instantly bombarded by her friends.  Melina starts the questioning with her outlandish jokes. “Ay Mija, Who was that Papisito rico? If I were you, I would lick him all over like a popsicle”

“Melina that’s disgusting”

“Que? Oh c’mon you know I’m right. Thomas tell her that I’m right”

“She’s right!” he concurred. “He would be perfect if only he liked gays”

“Hey! Stop assuming things. Lots of straight men don’t like other men touching them.” Leila argued.

“That’s true” Laura, the brunette agreed.

“You know what, it was just a casual meet, and tomorrow I won’t even remember the man.”

“I don’t know Amor,” Melina says “he seems like he will be a hard one to forget”

____________________________

*Please Remember to leave your thoughts and critiscism. and Don't forget to VOTE!!!! :)