How love is selfish

She heard it singing in her head, the high pitch small child. The voice was a scene out of a horror movie. The little girl laid on the ground without a word, the voice inside her head laughed and mocked in whispers. “Did you think he loved you? You stupid stupid, girl. Did you think he would fight for you? Stupid, stupid, stupid! You thought this could be a fairy tale ending. There is no such things as fairy tales.” The voice whispered, then ringed in her head “No such thing as fairy tales, no such thing as fairy tales, no such thing as fairy tales”

                        _____________________________________________

            Nathaniel’s heart ached as he drove his car to Mike’s condo, his life with Leila disappeared right before his eyes and there was absolutely nothing that he could do about it. His heart physically hurt, he felt it pumping out of his chest, contracting every time he would think of her. How would he live without her? These last few months, his life had been her, he did everything surrounded her, from his schedule, to the way he dressed, to things he ate, to the people he befriended, it all involved her. She had become the center of his universe and he now; it seemed as though his planet had lost gravity.

            He parked his car and rode up the elevator up to Mike’s condo. The door had been left open and he entered to find his cousin pouring whiskey; he handed Nathaniel a glass and instantly Nathaniel gulped it down. Then he gulped another, then another, and another. What could he do but drown this excruciating pain away. He would fly to Tennessee tomorrow. He was ready to give up everything; he had the money to do it, but his father; His father would make his and especially Leila’s life impossible. He was capable of assuring that she never frequented a job site ever again. The most he would let her would be to work at minimum wage and nothing else. His father was a very powerful man with great influence and he knew not to test it.

            Leila, Leila, dear God, he missed Leila. He missed her kisses, the contrast of her pearly white with her caramel skin. Nathaniel woke up from Mike’s guest bedroom and knew that today was the day. He would leave New York, a city that he had grown to love, and the friends that he had made, and would go back to the dungeon of his parent’s house. He would have to deal with that repulsive woman Alice, with her high pitch voice, her cold blue eyes that faked niceness when wanting to convince him that she loved him. Nathaniel knew that Alice didn’t love him. She just couldn’t stand to lose, and the fact that she had lost to a black woman to top it all was just irrational to her. He hated her; with all his heart he hated her. All she cared was for was money, while Leila was just happy with simplicity. She would rather a picnic at the park all alone than go to a crowded five star restaurant. Leila was perfect, she is perfect, he thought. She had changed him for the best and he would be eternally grateful to her.

            “Nathaniel,” He heard his cousin called his name

“Yeah” he answered as Mike walked through the mahogany door. Mike had already dressed in his custom made black Armani suit to go to work. He would take Nathaniel’s place until Nathaniel’s father decided on whom he wanted to be the president of the company.

“You shouldn’t give up so easily you know” Mike told his cousin. “And so what, he’ll make it impossible for Leila to get a job, your bank account can make you guys live a pretty comfortable without her having to work.”

“Yeah, that is easier said than done… you and I both know the extent my father is willing to take this. He wont make it impossible for Leila only, he’ll make it impossible for her entire family to be hired anywhere… and these people have worked so hard for what they have to have it ripped from them because of our love” he explained to his cousin and Mike sighed as a response. They both knew that this had been a battle lost from the beginning. His parents had won; they had managed yet again to manipulate their children to their needs.

“I still think you should fight for her,” Mike told him.  “I’ll fly to Tennessee this weekend and we can talk then. I’m sure you wont be here by the time I come back.” Mike continued. “What I don’t understand is that they still let me in charge, its not like they don’t know about me, you know. I’ve never hidden the fact that I’m not as fucking close minded as they are.”

“The difference is that they want me to get married now, to be a representation of the Harrington name. They’ll come for you. But I jut happen to be sooner then later.”

“Yeah, they are going to be out of luck. I don’t run on demands or racism. They can have their name and their fucking company. I have enough money in my account to give me a pretty amazing life. All I am saying is that you shouldn’t give up.”

“I’m not giving up, but right now, the only way I can protect Leila is to be away from her.”

“Ok, whatever you say” Mike accepted. “I’m going to leave, but I’ll see you in a few days and we can figure our next step” and with that, Mike made his way to work.