I'm Perfectly Fine!

Mike opened the door to the apartment. Nathaniel had given him his spare key and told him to check on Leila. After calling several times that day without any answer, he had decided to physically go check on her. He found Leila in her room; the television had been turned on to play a French film. Mike understood zilch but he knew better to make fun of the French during this situation. In truth he was expecting tissues everywhere, sweats, ice cream and crying. But none of the above sat on the bed. Leila looked perfectly normal as she watched the film. Her natural curly hair had been made into a messy bun. She wore matching pajama sets from Pink. The lime green contrasted with her ski color and as she smiled up at Mike, it was then he understood the reason why Nathaniel had fallen madly in love with her. She was not only beautiful when dolled up; she was even more magnificent in her natural state. “Hey” Mike told her with a smile.

“Hola” she responded with a smile.

“How are you doing Leils,” he asked as he sat at the end of the bed. He was confused about her lack of depression. She was smiling up at him. Why was she so okay with everything?

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’m jus waiting for my brother to drop off the kids.” She told him.

“Is that why you’re putting on this font of happiness? So people cant see how sad you are.” He urged.

“Mike I’m fine” Leila told him.  “You came here with an expectation and I just didn’t match it. Now can you stop pushing please?” she told him, her voice stern with a warning.

“Okay, okay. I’m going to take your words for it. Have you eaten.”

“I just ordered food.”

“Okay. Well, came here because…”

“He told you to check on me” she finished.

“…Well. Yeah. But also, because I wanted to make sure you were okay.”

“Well, you can see that I am fine. And you can tell him that I am fine.” She told him as her eyes fixed on the film.

“I can see that”

“Good”

“Doesn’t mean I believe it”

“You should, seeing is believing.”

“Some things are hidden from the naked eye”

“Stop with the philosophical bullshit, I told you that I am fine”

“Okay, okay. Sine you’re fine. I’m going to go and are you sure you’re fine?”

“Yup”

“If you need anything.”

“I’ll be fine,” she told him and Mike move to the direction of the door.  But before he took his leave, he paused, turned around and said.

“He love you, you know, that’s why he did it. Just remember that the greatest loves are the ones that are the most selfless.” Mike closed the door behind him. He wanted Leila to understand why Nathaniel did what he did. But he could see it in her eyes, although she faked happiness. She could see the hurt in her eyes. The betrayal was evident in her eyes, in her smile. He could even see the repulsion he felt when he had walked in. Another Harrington. A named that had hurt her beyond measures. The fact that she hadn’t taken a knife to his heart was pure miracle. Here he was, the middle ground between two people that were hurting for each other, both wanting each other, yet one has the mental instability to think that staying away from themselves is the best solution, while the other’s mental problem is not acknowledging any of it happened. He needed to get to Tennessee, to think of a plan, it was time this family stop messing with others lives. It was time the children of the Harrington made their own decisions. This family had years of ruling over everyone lives and it was time they lose the throne.

________

***Sorry its short.. I've had to litterally force myself. Its realy hard to write about something that you're not sure you even believ in anymore. My apologies. ***