» Trails of Shards

Cashire is not a person who inquired about things concerning other people. He finds it much easier to dissect the person in front of him, watching with calculating intent in order to strike when the time presents itself. It is like second nature to him. This is a reason why Tanami Mochizuki was strange when they first met.

She was not headstrong with her beliefs like Neith or absorbed whole heartily into pulling the strings of a puppet like Roisin did. No, the crystal was stubborn, never wanting to give in when a clear disadvantage had been placed in her path. She was certain in some decisions but incredibly indecisive with others. Like she was given a scale that would suddenly tip and crash with an immense weight if she choose the wrong choice. Cheerful and hope-filled at times but Cashire has observed people long enough that he knows that the sudden dullness in her eyes was not something that occurred overnight.

It always made his stomach twist with an emotion he could not describe. Despite all this, he never tried to make her falter in her decisions unless it was something concerning life or death. He never thought he would care as much about someone as he would but look at him now, five years later and smitten with a girl who appeared to be made of gemstone.

At first glance, you would assume it was from the amethyst that was carved out into a bob-styled haircut but you had to take a closer look. The first time he witnessed the faint but lavender scars that trailed down the woman's shoulders like a web was when they were seventeen. It was an accident. He lightly nipped her sleeve with the tip of the sword he held when they were sparing one day. He was glad that he had cut the fabric and not her skin but that was not the case with her.

The hilt of the sword slipped free from the girl's slim fingers and clattered against the beige tatami mats that were strewn across the floor. A panicked expression settled onto her face as she suddenly wrapped her hands around her shoulders. Even if the two were exhausted, her breathing instantly rose rapidly and unevenly.

Confused, Cashire took a step forward only to stop. Tanami had taken a step back in response. Fear danced inside her irises, reflecting the fright that sent her body shaking with small tremors. Her teeth lightly clinched as she stepped back once more. It was only then that the boy had taken notice of the lavender lines that stood out against the paleness of the girl's skin. The moment the girl saw his eyes shift, her breathing lodged in her throat. She raced out of the room without a word and left him standing in bewilderment.

He knew that when someone decided to become a Hero, risks trailed behind it like moths to a flame. Scars were always going to be present. Whether they are big or small, they always carry a story. Whenever she returned home to their apartment, there was always a new scar, bruise, or mark that could not be fully healed even with the aid of Daiki's medical knowledge. Cuts that sliced her skin from small shards of her own crystal flying toward her, the bruises that appeared when he accidentally hit too hard during a sparring match, and the scratches that littered her fingernails from hand to hand combat. Although they lose their coloring, few remain, and some return and litter her pale complexion.

Every time he witnessed a new scar, he asked if she was alright or needed something. Tanami always brushed it aside as if it was normal. In her line of work, yes it was. But when it was just the two of them, he could not help but worry. If he was talking to his thirteen-year-old self, he probably would have laughed at the notion. Him? Worried about someone other than Neith and Roisin, it sounded like a terrible joke. He was glad it was anything but that.

The edge of his light blue mug clinked against the table as he placed it down. Steam curled in the air, the wisps of white mist curling into itself with tranquility. As he began to seat himself in the chair, his ears picked up the sound of the lock clicking. Not a second after did the door to the apartment open, revealing the familiar glow of purple illuminating the air. Tanami's eyes still for a second in front of her before they flick around the room. Once they land on Cashire, her face immediately brightened. A smile slipped into her lips as she hurriedly kicked off her grey tennis shoes with ease.

Bringing his hand up, the man waves as his other hand makes its way to his mug. Curling his fingers around the handle, he raised the mug to his lips. The steam curled into his face and warmed up his cheeks. The taste of bitter matcha tea lingered on his tastebuds as he lightly smiled against the rim.

For a split second, he found his eyes trailing down to see the small but red tingled gash that seemed to begin at the crystal's thumb and trail up her arm which was covered by the black long sleeve she wore. "What happened this time?"

The moment the woman came close enough, Cashier acted without much thought. The roughness of his fingers treaded softly against her pristine skin, feeling the smoothness and slightly rough patches that coated her hand. For a moment, the amethyst-haired girl's brows pinched together as wrinkles were drawn across her forehead. Her expression relaxed once she realized what he meant. Delicately, she shifted her hand so their fingers would lace together.

"Underground mission. Some slivers of my crystals were thrown right back at me and I could not see all of them at once." Tanami voiced with a sigh. Her head tilted and her hair clinked together in response. "It's not like I can stop from getting them. There's only so much energy that Daiki and Akihiko can spare when everyone gets worse injuries than a few cuts. Nothing stays unscathed for eternity, you know?"

Orange eyes narrow in concern. Placing the mug back onto the surface of the table, the brown-haired male lightly tugged the woman. She allowed herself to fall into his lap as he continued to drag his thumb across her skin. His lips curled into a frown as he inspected the faintest scar that lingered amongst the groove of her knuckles. This one was acquired when they were sixteen and doing something stupid after evading Roisin's instructions to not break into the lab. Scars held memories and this one was definitely not one he was fond of.

"I still don't like them," he muttered softly.

A chuckle freed itself from her lips. "Nothing I can do about it. You can only dodge and shield yourself so much."

He does not say anything after that statement and instead listened to Tanami recount her day. Although he was listening, his eyes could never tear away from her skin. Pretty pale skin tainted with dull lines of purple that trailed down like broken glass. With their fingers still intertwined, he raised their hands and delicately press his lips to her knuckles. Her words suddenly falter when a yelp escaped her. Bright orange connected with the soft color of periwinkle.

Coughing, Tanami pressed her lips together in a pout as light red dusted across her cheeks. "What was that for?"

Cashired shrugged but kept his bottom lip treading on the outline of her knuckles. "An apology you've long since forgiven."

He did not like scars but if he could soothe some of its pain like this, he would not mind.

~.~.~

Author's Note

I really need to work on other things but here's another Tincan one-shot 😅