» CYNDAQUIL has joined your party!

This was the prologue for Rule Keeper which is another Pokémon fanfiction I want to write. Will I get to it? Probably not soon. Practically follows the trope where a character wakes up as a character from a game/novel but not exactly.

~.~.~

『JADE has received CYNDAQUIL from Professor Elm!』

『Give a Nickname to the CYNDAQUIL you received?

> Yes No』

A transparent, light blue text box with the words above engraved in white-colored font floated in front of Jade, the fluorescent lighting reflecting off the lens of her black-rimmed circular glasses. She blinked a few times, her dark green eyes swirling with confusion. Her right arm was raised, index finger slightly jabbed out as the tip was only an inch away from the box. Her finger was poised above the Yes as if she just clicked it. In an instant, the words on the text box were overwritten and new words were sprawled across it.

『CYNDAQUIL's nickname ________』

Cyndaquil? The name fluttered in her head for a brief moment. Jade wrinkled her nose as her brain began to slowly piece together whatever the heck was going on. That's a Fire-Type Pokémon. So why is it her-?

Then she felt the warm sensation of something pressing up against the fabric wrapped around her calf. Her head dipped in confusion, her gaze falling to see what on earth was rubbing up against her grey leggings. In surprise, Jade's lips parted slightly from the sight. The thing pressing up against her was a small creature with a yellow underside and dark green on top. Four red circles were plastered against its back which would sometimes flare up with a mini ember. Despite its eyes being closed, the thing still gazed up at her with expectancy.

Without much thought and pretty much moving unconsciously, the brown-haired girl quickly pushed the floating letters that were underneath the statement.

『Is Cinder the nickname you want to give?

> Yes No』

With ease, the words that flowed out of her mouth were said with her voice but she didn't even know she was going to say them. "Hey, Cinder. It's nice to meet you."

A chirp of utter delight escaped Cyndaquil's or Cinder's throat as it- no the text box stated that the Pokémon is male- he rubbed his nuzzle against her calf. She blinked once more, her mind attempting to make sense of the scene playing out in front of her. Carefully, Jade knelt down and with reluctance, she placed her hand on top of the Pokémon's head.

Her skin instantly registered the warmth seeping out of Cinder's skin and onto her palm. In no time, her hand was warmed up and she was certain that whatever was going on was not a dream. This was further proved when the Fire-Type's back suddenly unleashed a small burst of embers. The moment she saw the flickering of bright orange flames, she withdrew her hand in fear of being burnt. Jade would be lying if she said that she didn't feel guilty as a saddening noise left Cinder.

Shaking her head, Jade brushed aside a few pesky brown strands that fell into her glasses. With newfound confidence, she delicately wrapped her hands around Cyndaquil's body and pressed the small Pokémon to her chest. She stood slowly to make sure that her starter Pokémon- gosh that sounded pretty strange- didn't tip or fall from her grasp. It seemed like Cinder shared the same thought because his little paws clung to the black jacket draped across her shoulders.

What in the absolute fuck was going on?

"Jade! Jade... Jade!"

The sound of her name being repeated finally made the teenager break out of her thoughts. However, because of that, her grip around Cinder grew a tad bit tighter and that elicited a mini squeak from him. She instantly loosened her grip. Maybe it would be easier to not squeeze the life out of her Pokémon by zipping up her jacket halfway and stuffing his body inside with his head sticking out. Or maybe she should invest in one of those baby carriers that look like a backpack- she's getting way off track.