» The Fall of Ravaryn

This was a Pokémon fanfiction that I wanted to write and planned about two years ago. However, I forgot about it. But the main plot of this was that it was magic-based, had lore, was made up of four kingdoms, but one was destroyed. That would be Ravaryn which is in the title. This chapter was supposed to be the prologue. 

I do eventually want to write this, but I'm not sure when. I hope you enjoy this, nonetheless

~.~.~

431 years ago.

The glint of a long, sharp, steel blade shimmered like diamonds from the moonlight pouring down from the star-specked sky. The metal was surrounded by a translucent hue of light pink. A small sphere embedded into the handle glowed a soft magenta. Metal cobalt vines curled around the hilt, trailing upward until they touched the glass sphere. The handle was held tightly in the grasp of a masculine figure, his violet eyes shining with delight, and his lips curled up in a triumphant smirk. With a gloved white hand, he brushed aside pesky locks of midnight hair that curled into his eyesight.

Another sword, one with the blade crafted out of a deep obsidian metal shined solemnly, its vague light seeping into the light blue stones. The violet sphere's light was dim. The silver curling around the handle and onto the core radiated a great sorrow. The weapon laid defeatedly by itself, cast aside, far away from its wielder. A pair of emerald eyes were narrowed in disbelief and frustration. A hint of betrayal swirled in his irises as the male gnawed his teeth together. His body was on the floor, his hands propping his figure up as they were placed behind him.

The second male quickly screwed his eyes shut due to instincts. The feeling of the sharp blade brushing across the skin of his neck made the blood drain from his face and forced his pores to open. His gloved fingers drew inward, scratching harshly at the ground due to the situation he was in. He cracked an eye open slowly, his gaze rising to see the shadows beyond him quiver in fury.

The shadows' lunged forward, desperate to aid the human nearing his end. Wisps of dark tendrils soared forward, using the stone ground as a crutch to reach their opponent. Inches away from attacking the man, the tendrils were struck with jolts of golden electricity.

"Barriera Elettrica,"

The bolts snapped, instantly flowing to create a hemispheric barrier that encased the two males. Electricity spazzed atop of the down, screeching with mock as it dared the shadows to come. With painful cries emitted from the depths of darkness, the shadows' instantly pulled away. However, they did not stop their jittering dance of anger, waiting for an opening to reveal itself.

Quiet laughter mixed with derisive was elicited in the far left corner of the destroyed room. Adoring a heavy olive robe with the emblem of a yellow gracidea outline, a feminine figure nimbly lifted her right ankle just in time as a shadowy tendril lashed out at her. Dainty fingers slightly loosened their grip on the wooden staff. Perking her head up, her navy blue curls bounced from the sudden action. Her sunset eyes flicked for a moment, staring at the yellow sphere radiating energy before lightly tapping the ground. Another series of electric jolts traversed the stone ground, jumping frantically as they enraptured the shadows.

Beside her, Zebstrika neighed in discontent and pressed its muzzle against the now dim sphere. The core ignited in a flash, fresh mana seeping inside of it. Another wave of the strick and the electricity swirled into an enchantment circle. Designs of bolts hastily stitched themselves together, weaving like string until the circle was completed. With sparks striking out, the Electric Seal was bound to the shadows. This effectively paralyzed them, restricting them once and for all. The shadows cried, electricity running through their wispy bodies and forcing them to stay still.

Releasing a deep breath, the woman raised a hand and placed it directly over her heart. She smiled sweetly, eyes softening as she spoke. "Prince Jasper, that is the last seal that needed to be cast. I'm certain that my fellow mages are finished sealing the once Umbra, Spectra, and Toxi Pokémon. Why it is our grand luck that Arceus has graced us with the ability to convert these foul beings into nothing but insignificant shadows."

"I must gift the magnificent Celosia once we return victoriously to the Zariya Kingdom for your contribution." The man, Jasper, praised as he slowly dragged the tip of his blade across the silver-haired man's throat. A bead of red emerged from the tiny wound. It dribbled down the man's pale skin, tainting his flesh with such a bold color.

The man forced to the ground allowed his eyes to flutter shut as a torrent of pitiful chuckles clawed out of his throat. A sorrow-filled expression was plastered on the adult's face.

"So, you would go this far for such a trivial thing?" the defeated man whispered mournfully slow. "Tear the entirety of a kingdom down. The people frightened, the royal family welcomed to the next world much too soon, and our dear friends, why our Pokémon have been made a mockery and forced to live out the rest of their lives as beings who could only resurface at night? You make your old friend heartbroken."

The sword stayed at his neck, digging into his flesh more as another trickle of blood rolled down his pale neck. "And what if I did, princ- ah no. I should say the fallen king of Ravaryn, the man who fought until the very end. Oh my dear old friend, Xavier, your loved ones should have foreseen the betrayal of the other three kingdoms. If we had not acted in time, the Siea family would have betrayed us."

"I pity you. Yes, I pity you dearly." Xavier airly said with a shake of his head. "For the mighty soldier of Zariya, the powerful mage of Fioritura, and the distinguished strategist of Alandra have all been controlled by your fear. Those who seek shelter in the light may not understand those who relish in the dark. But I understand your vile acts. You fear what you do not know. As humans, we desperately loathe the unknown. Once we encounter it, we are quick to get rid of it."

Jasper tossed his head back and laughed heartily. He shook his head, almost as if it was pointless for the other to speak such words. "My, my, for someone close to death, you sure speak nonsense. It was a given that the Ravaryn Kingdom would invade our own first. It is natural to spring out first before one is caught off guard."

"I believe that is called 'playing dirty'. Such disgraceful acts for one who is blessed by the legend of life itself." Xavier pressed his lips together into a strained smile. He ignored the locks of silver that tickled his cheeks. "From what I have witnessed, no amount of words will riddle your thoughts."

Dainty footfalls echoed from behind the two adults. Gazing over his shoulder, Jasper noticed Celosia treading toward him. She wore a grim expression. "Prince Jasper, it seems that the legends are nowhere in sight. Not even my people can find a trace of their cores."

The victorious smile slipped off the prince's face. In an instant, he turned to Xavier with his lips screwed back into a deep scowl. "Where are those legends?"

"The legends? Hmm, who knows? If my assumption is correct, I believe they are somewhere where a human being such as yourself will never be able to journey." A smirk slid onto the man's face. His green eyes glinted with mockery as Jasper's jaw tightened.

Celosia's breathing hitched in her throat. She placed a hand to her cheek, a bead of sweat rolling down her forehead. "The Distortion Realm... The legends have fled to a place where no human has traversed! Even if we plead the legend of dimensions, they would curse us for such a disgraceful action! We cannot seal those legends unless they return to this mortal realm!"

"Xavier, call them forth!"

The man in question hummed dryly. "You ask for something I would not do even if I lived for an eternity. And secondly, you ask a mere mortal to call forth the legends of my dear kingdom. I would rather you slay me now. However, if I must say one more thing, it will be this. One day, whether it be far or near, your kingdoms will suffer the same fate as my own and the fallen kingdom of Ravaryn will flourish one day. For the legends will not stand for such a cruel fate! I warn you, my old friend, your demise will come when you least expect it."

The blade was drawn across Xavier's throat.