» Cacophony of Voices

A canopy of ink was slathered across the night sky to provide a curtain of darkness that layered the city. A veil of stars littered the sky, breathing in bits of vibrant light into the pitch black. The crescent moon was placed in the center of the twinkling dots, its ethereal glow sinking into every space that the disgusting shadows wanted to consume.

The pitter-patter of a young girl's feet vibrated with every step she took across the concrete ground. It resonated against the space that loitered every object. Quiet yet rapid inhales and exhales escaped the child's lips as her chest rose and fell. Beads of perspiration trickled down her forehead and slipped down her jawline. Her cheeks were dusted a light red from the wind tickling her skin. The atmosphere around her was eerily quiet with a feeling of tranquility that felt strange.

That is until the sound of someone's foot piercing the quietness that settled around her was heard. With the smallest sound, the peaceful perspective of her world shattered. The picture-perfect image that she created with her own two hands was beginning to fall apart. Circles rippled across the glassy surface of the illusion, breaking apart the sphere that surrounded her. Colorful pieces of shards collapsed toward the ground before erupting into an array of vibrant sparkles.

It was so small. The dizzying, frightful step that destroyed her illusion so quickly without a fault.

Nine tails painted white with strokes of red sprayed out behind her in frustration as her fox ears picked up the everlasting sound of footfalls continuously hitting the pavement. Her chestnut ringlets dyed red at the tips tickled the back of her neck and cheeks. The filthy white nightgown that was draped across her body flowed behind her from the sudden onslaught of wind that appeared.

All of a sudden, there was a voice. It echoed in the back of her mind. The voice overlapped with two instead of one. Etched into her memory was the tone as it was one she could never forget. It reminded her that she was never truly alone after all.

Nicolette, get down!

At the command of the echoing voice, Nicolette threw herself against the asphalt. Her bare arms and knees collided with the ground. Peddles and minuscule pieces of the road sunk into her flesh, scraping and tearing her skin open to reveal sickening droplets of red. A few spilled to decorate the inkiness of the ground. A pained scream ripped itself out of her throat but she silenced herself halfway by digging her teeth into her tongue. The metallic taste of blood overloaded her senses for a moment.

Above her, an arrow whizzed past her and lodged itself into the ground. It narrowly missed her.

Pressing her palms against the hard road, pieces of tiny rocks embedded themselves in her skin. Neglecting the aching sensation plaguing her body, Nicolette forced herself up to her feet. She staggered on her legs, trails of crimson trickling down her limbs and staining her olive skin. Her already dirty nightgown was soaking up vermillion. She quickly rubbed the tears pricking at the edges of her eyes with the ball of her palm.

Run! Start running now, Nico! The voice screeched into the depths of her mind, bouncing off the walls of her skull. A cacophony produced of various echoes resonated in her eardrums.

With the sound of footsteps growing closer at a hasty pace, Nicolette swallowed the saliva building up in her mouth. Breaking out into another sprint, she felt the wind run its imaginary fingers through her locks. She sprinted past a flickering streetlight, its luminance bringing more attention to her than she already had.

Beside her, the materialization of another figure emerged in a swirl of onyx smoke. It smashed together, quickly forming into the shape of a young girl around the same height as Nicolette. Taking on a similar appearance as the chestnut-haired girl, the smoke had revealed its true form. Instead of an olive complexion, the shadow had a dark greyish skin tone. Almost like she was smothered with ash and it was coating the entirety of the shadow's body. She did not have any eyes, nose, or mouth.