~ Chapter 16 ~

Skarlet awoke to the sound of voices, causing her to sit up quickly, she was still in the tree. She glanced around, It was noon, the kobolds had finished gathering water and were gathering around a table to feast.

"Meat. . . Good." Seemingly out of nowhere a voice reached her ears. Skarlet was immediately alert, not sure how or why, but she could understand them. Their speech was basic, she wasn't surprised, but an idea struck her.

She dropped down from the tree and approached the camp, the two guards were relaxed, focused on the party behind them. They seemed to be either envious or jealous, she could have killed them both without them realizing it, but she didn't. She approached cautiously, the one on the left tensed up as he noticed her, he raised his weapon in response and faced her.

"Danger? Who?" the left one spoke to his partner, he had brown shaggy fur with a scar running down his face. He wasn't too alarmed due to Skarlet's relaxed posture.

"Danger!" The other turned, immediately alert, he was black all over except for a white spot over his eyes.

"No, Danger Spot?"

"Danger? Scar" Spot repeated danger as a question rather than a certainty.

"Peace." Skarlet spoke simply.

"Peace?"

"Safe?"

Skarlet sighed, they seemed to ponder for a moment.

"Take to Lord, meat." She offered them an idea, gesturing to herself and the meat behind them, they leaped on it.

"Meat, Lord, Come." The leader-seeming Kobold led her inside, she felt eyes directed at her as she entered, the noise from the party quieted down. The kobold grabbed a bone of meat as he passed, while leading Skarlet to the largest dwelling. The shelters were made of leaves and branches, arranged and layered to make mostly water proof tents.

He ushered her inside before turning to leave, he seemed to bolt back to the front gate as she stepped into the tent. It was dark, her eyes were taking awhile to adjust.

"Curiosity killed the cat." A voice spoke out in the darkness, it was in the common language, but rougher. "What are you doing here kitty?"

"Yes, curious." She responded in kobold, there were a few moments of silence.

"You speak our language" Suddenly a light came on, a candle sat on a table in the center of the room.

"Yes."

"What are you doing here cat?" The kobold Lord was a bit larger than a normal Kobold, and he wore a cloak like a magician, he also carried a staff. He sat down at the table, there were a couple female Kobolds dressed in lingerie-type clothing, one hopped up and left. Skarlet stepped over to the table and sat down.

"As said, I'm curious, I witnessed you're tribe being civil, I wanted to know more." Skarlet found that she had no trouble conversing with the Kobolds.

"Why seek conversation here, you live inside the walls don't you cat." The Lord spoke suspiciously, before Skarlet could reply, the female kobold returned with a cup of water and a stick of meat. Skarlet accepted them graciously, she took a sip of the water.

"Thank you, Ah, the reason. . . that's complicated I guess." She sighed looking away. "I'm here mostly because I had a contract to kill you." Suddenly the room went quiet, the female kobolds rushed and hid behind the Lord. The Lord himself didn't move, he sensed no hostility in her voice, he leaned forward instead.

"So why aren't you?" He asked carefully.

"Cause, you're not like the other Lords, they were all Monsters. You're more civilized, I'd feel like I was killing innocents." She paused, leaning forward. "But in that lays a problem, I won't be the last who takes this contract."