~ Chapter 30 ~

Cody awoke and immediately winced from the pain in his head, he glanced around and noticed that he was laid out on a couch in the entrance way. As he sat up his feet touched something and he noticed his boots placed against the couch. He slipped them on as he stood up. His sword and sheath were leaned against the wall next to the couch, he grabbed them and buckled it around his waist just as Clara walked past with a tray of cookies held on her hand. He stepped forward and caught her attention.

"Hey, where's Maria?" He asked her, she paused before giving a courtesy, a little bow with the lifting of one side of her skirt, before replying.

"She's in her office, it's almost lunchtime." She told him as she turned and led the way towards the office. He followed and as they reached the door he opened it for her, eliciting a smile from the young fox maid. Maria was at her desk, working on paperwork.

"Glad to see you settling in." Cody spoke as he approached her desk.

"I've been cleaning out the city guards and knights." She said, sighing, "Most of them were on Seraph's payroll." She pushed the stack of papers to the side. "You look like you drank too much."

"How come you don't have a hangover?" He asked her as he leaned his back against her desk and looked down at her, she laughed.

"Cody, I'm fourteen, I was drinking Sparkling grape juice not wine." She leaned back in her chair laughing, there was a lack of stress in that face. As much as she had allot of fun while with Cody, hey father had given her a decent amount of worries and he could feel that a large weight had lifted from her shoulders.

"Oh yeah, true." Cody smiled as his thoughts returned to last night and the celebration. "Thanks for last night."

"Of course, anything for my close friends, though, if you're really grateful. . ." She looked at him seriously. "Get me registered as an adventurer."

"Maria!" Clara exclaimed, "You have too much work for that." She crossed her arms, "Seriously you complain as it is, you'd never get anything done if you were out there adventuring. Besides, I don't think I could handle worrying that much."

"Yeah, you're right Clara. Never mind Cody, forget I asked." She smiled as she began to work again.

"I'll come by again in a few days for more training." Cody waved at her as he pushed off from the desk.

"Yeah, sorry about making it once every three days, I just have so much work."

"It's fine, you have a city to take care of." he reassured her before heading that's the door. Cody frowned softly as he descended the stairs, he was thinking about his mission. He'd actually come to Aguris a bit early to inspect the markings beforehand however due to all the excitement very soon the church would begin their own investigation and he'd have to cut his little excursion short. Cody headed towards the guild as his thoughts returned to the girl in his vision and he overlayed her with Skarlet as he slowly cemented the belief that Skarlet was either the key or a piece of what Gia had laid out for him.

Gahh, that makes me sound like a religious fanatic huh! Geez, I don't really believe in Gods, that may sound ridiculous but I still have yet to see anything that would make me Believe Gia is anything other than a very powerful moral from this world.

As Cody's thoughts wandered once more he pushed open the guild doors and stepped inside only to be immediately jumped by an unfamiliar face. The air of the place was kinda solemn, as the dog Lithian with beautiful purple eyes approached him eagerly.

"Please sir hero, you gotta help my friend she's trapped with a dragon!" The girl exclaimed, that's when Cody noticed their was a constant whispering and that the receptionists looked nervous. Cody sighed and let the girl lead her to the counter.