~ Chapter 34 ~

Skarlet sat up, a disgruntled annoyance passed her face as her mind awoke from the groggy sleep that caked the edges of her eyes. Something had woken her, her eyes turned to the light drifting lazily through the window. It's attitude mirrored her own as a smell hit her nostrils, it was alcohol. A memory washed over her, from the night she'd been drunk, the night she spent talking to that dragon. The dragon had told her something, as she drank and ate away her consciousness. She realized that she must have spilled alcohol on herself at that time, her clothes which Hung from the chair left a lingering scent in the air.

"I didn't very much saveth thee f'r the food, I did save thee because thee gaveth me feareth. . .I've nev'r seen someone fight liketh thee. So reckless, without careth. Thee repeatedly reciev'd injury and yet nev'r did heal. Thee didn't backeth down, n're didst thee ev'r falt'r. And in the endeth as i did see thee laying th're barely conscious, dying. Thee did point yond dagger at me and did look at me with eyes full of longing, misprise, regreteth, and deep det'rmination. Thee hath believed in yond moment yond thee couldst killeth me, and yond scared me" She paused, "Nay, Skarlet, something's coming. Thee can't fight this beast liketh thee combated me, it won't taketh pity on thee, Skarlet prithee. Fight liketh thy life matt'rs f'r once, and at which hour thee survive. Cometh seeth me once m're." Skarlet sighed as she leaned against her desk her fingers digging into the rough wood, You seem to believe I can survive this, I'll try to live up to those expectations. Skarlet thought as the lazy tired feelings evaporated, she lifted her hand from the desk and winced as it brushed the sill. It was cold, she gripped the bottom of the window and pulled it open, the light poured in aggressively as she slapped her cheeks relishing in the sharp pain and frigid breeze. A little determination welled up. Screw him, I'll beat this thing and prove myself a hero. This is my chance, I can atone a little with this.

she turned away from the mirror and snatched her clothes, quickly, she threw on her gear, before sheathing her sword and knife, she wrapped the cloak around her shoulder and dashed out the door, it was at that time that screams began to rise in the town. A bell tolled, shouts and authoritative voices called for order as she pushed through the crowd. She heard steps behind her as a hand gripped her arm. Skarlet sighed as the nails dug into her arm, there was a light shake to the grip.

"Skarlet please, Cody won't be back till tonight, they will keep him. He can't disobey them. Please evacuate with us." Maria pleaded, Skarlet glanced at the girl. She was small and fragile. She couldn't help but sigh as she pulled her arm from the girls grip and turned away, she didn't run off just yet though. She had to break this before she got someone else killed, afterall Maria wasn't anything like Cody. She was just a little girl, and people without power. . . People without strength couldn't withstand her curse.

"I'm sorry, but I can't have a child follow me into this. So go, I can't be responsible for you." Skarlet spoke, Maria froze and a look of hurt spread onto her face, even a bit of anger was there but Skarlet ignored it even as defiance blossomed. Skarlet resumed her dash towards the main gate, a silent solitary tear dripped from her cheek, though it was met with confusion. What am I sad about? She wondered as she wiped her wet cheek with her sleeve. But she shrugged it off, her focus trained on the monster before her. Even with that man's evaluation of her skill she was hopeful that she had a chance. Skarlet broke into a run as the crowd thinned out, as she passed the marketplace she leaped onto the cloth stitched roof of a side shop. The awning buckled under her weight, though she managed to gain enough upward momentum to grab the edge of the roof of the building behind the market stall.

Skarlet pulled herself up and with that momentum, landed in a crouch on the very edge. Rising to a standing posture, she brought her gaze to the horizon where the oncoming storm could be seen. A massive beast, it was bipedal with silvery fur. It had a body shape reminiscent of a mix between a goat and a human. The posture was odd with it’s legs still bent in the reverse direction to humans, on its head was the curled gray horns of a ram. It was moving towards Aguris with a certain degree of speed that didn't do a discredit to it's size or apparent species. Skarlet frowned as she began running along the rooftops, pushing mana into her feet she chanted the incantation of her wind spell, it didn't take her long to reach the edge of town. Upon nearing the roof’s edge she cast her spell combined with a leap, she soared over the gap and landed on the wall surrounding the city.