~ Chapter 19 ~

Cody pushed open the Inn door, inside he was greeted by an unconscious Skarlet gripping her blood-stained sword, Maria was tending to Skarlet, she looked worried, Cody stepped over.

"What happened."

"No idea, I woke up and it was already over. She was over there sitting on the ground. I woke to the sound of her dropping her sword, she was wounded pretty bad. She used healing magic on herself and passed out." Maria explained in a hurried voice.

"She's probably just exhausted from blood loss, help me move her to the bed for now, and we'll go down and get breakfast." Cody lifted her by the shoulders and Maria grabbed her feet. She was lighter than expected. They laid her down on the bed, Cody unbuckled her belt and moved her two sheaths to the bedside. He then pulled the blanket up around her, Maria still looked worried but he pushed her and Clara from the room.

"Standing around here isn't gonna make her feel any better." Cody urged them, he took one last glance into the room, and his eyes stopped on her sword. It was clean and shiny, with no blood on it's surface. I didn't imagine blood on that sword did I? He shook his head before stepping out into the hall and closing the door behind him.

Skarlet rose to the surface of the crushing darkness, she broke open her eyes and sat up with a jolt. Maria and Clara were gone, and someone had moved her to the bed.

Skarlet swung her legs around, contacting them with the wood floor, she winced. Her boots were sitting beside the bed alongside her sheaths and weapons, the hardwood floor was a little cold even through her socks. She slipped her feet into her boots and threw the sheath over her shoulder, she buckled it and hurried out into the hall. She slowed as she heard Cody's voice. It was coupled with Maria and Clara, she approached the table where they sat.

"Skarlet!" Maria got up and rushed over to her, "Are you ok?" Andy was also sitting at the table with them.

"What happened last night, Skarlet." Andy asked, he waited as Skarlet sat down.

"I was keeping watch when I suddenly noticed it was too quiet so I got up to look outside and realized that in a certain area around me there was no sound. It was about that time that a sword was struck full force across the back of my neck." Skarlet frowned, as she spoke, "The only reason I didn't die was because of the adamantite collar Yofen made for me. It saved my life, but she was extremely skilled, and wielding a sword against her was a bad move. Though due to her skill, I couldn't draw my knife even if I'd wanted to. She basically beat me to a pulp then left."

Andy nodded, "From the sound of it, she used Silencing magic, it's time magic and extremely rare. There's only one known assassin that uses it, most refer to him as the silent death, a B rank assassin." Andy thought for a moment. "It sounds like it's a different assassin."

"Well, I don't know her rank, but she was most definitely a difficult opponent." Skarlet began to eat, Maria had gotten her a plate. "Thank you Maria."

"You're being pretty open and social today." Maria said suddenly, Skarlet paused.

"I-I was surprised, running on adrenaline, I woke and you were gone." Skarlet replied, her eyes wandered, I always seem to gain confidence in tense and hostile situations, but lose it again once everything calms down. She thought in embarrassment.

"Your mind clears in combat and tense situations, you're not worried about anything but surviving or defeating your opponent, so all those self-deprecating thoughts that cause you to be so shy and antisocial aren't there." Cody spoke matter of factly, "It acts like a situational confidence boost."

"Huh, that makes sense, I think he figured you out Skarlet." Andy said with a Chuckle.

"It's not too difficult to understand, just basic psychology." Cody replied, a smirk on his face.