~ Chapter 44 ~

Skarlet and Cody's Duel

Skarlet awoke to screaming and thrashing as well as a cold wet sensation, she leaped from the bed to find that Amber was convulsing and letting out a low fearful moan, she would occasionally shout. There was the scent of urine in the air and the bed was wet along with Amber and Skarlet. Beatrice's eyes glowed from the other side of the tent as Skarlet shook the young girl awake, once Amber opened her eyes Skarlet paused with surprise. Amber's eyes were so full of life for a moment, fear, worry, desire, hate, and shame swirled in those golden eyes. It was only for a moment before the light faded and they dulled, she went limp in Skarlet's arms, staring blankly at the ceiling.

Beatrice snorted in annoyance before rolling over and going to sleep, Skarlet used wind and water magic to clean both her and Amber as well as the bed. She then pulled Amber into and hugged her as she sat on the bed.

"It's ok, everything's alright now. . ." Skarlet spoke hesitantly, not really sure what to say, How do I comfort someone? I never got that. . . Skarlet laid back down and pulled Amber down beside her, She hugged her tightly. "Everything is ok, just go back to sleep." Amber's tail wagged slowly as she drifted back to sleep.

"This is good."

"How?"

"People who has't completely giveth up don't has't dreams because dreams art b'rn from a collection of w'rries, desires, and thoughts thee hadst during the day. If 't be true she's having nightmares she's begun to careth enow to bethink, desire, and w'rry."

"That. . . that means she's getting better," Skarlet exclaimed with surprise.

"Aye, Skarlet, you're doing a valorous job." Beatrice praised her, Skarlet smiled for a moment before she noticed the time, birds were chirping.

"Oh shoot, It's morning, I can't go back to sleep." Skarlet slipped from the bed, she was about to step out when suddenly something grabbed her shirt. Skarlet turned to see Amber, her tail was dragging on the ground.

"You can come." Skarlet offered her hand and the girl took it as they headed out of the tent, there was smoke rising into the air, the bones of last night's feast cast caged shadows across the clearing as the two headed into the forest.

Cody stood in front of the forest, waiting, she didn't just leave again, did she? He thought, but he didn't hold that thought for long as Skarlet dressed in her usual gear walked out from the forest, she was leading another girl by the hand. The second girl was young, like around ten or eleven, she was dressed in a black dress with ruffled sleeves and a ruffled hem. She looked disinterested, her eyes stared at nothing almost as if she was blind, her tail wagging slowly the only indication that there was any emotion in her at all.

"You ready for the duel?" Cody asked, she nodded, but turned and spoke to the girl she brought with her, the girl sat down in the grass. Skarlet then approached Cody and drew her sword.

"So, rules." Skarlet began, "Let's just do swordplay, I don't want to have to worry about stray magic." She readied her stance, "First to say they concede, or is unable to continue, loses."

"Alright." Cody agreed as he drew his own sword, they readied their stance and began. Skarlet leaped at Cody and swung her sword, he blocked and sidestepped her bringing his sword around to her back, she leaped into a flip and narrowly dodged the blade. She landed and Cody took some distance, then they began circling each other.

"You better not go back on your word if I win this," Cody said as he readied his sword, she didn't respond, leaping forward, he blocked her blade. She slid under and let his slide past, he looked surprised as he sidestepped out of the way, her blade sliced through his clothes and blood dripped from his side.