Edited: Prologue

-

-

If you were to ask me what was the most life-altering sequence that ever happened in my life, you'll have to brace yourself for an extremely long conversation.

But if I was to condense it into something so it'd be easier to tell you, it wouldn't be a something.

It would be a someone.

It was Jeremy Finley Leighton.

Three words. Twenty letters. Six syllables. Two hazel eyes. A mop of shaggy brown hair. Signature smirk. Callous touch. Nicknames. Hypothetical friends. Strained heartbeats. Powerful enough to obliterate me.

You have all these love stories circulating about miracles and stars, cancer and side-effects, stains and chocolate. Love stories that consumed you with a revelling nostalgia, choking and clogging your senses until your vision becomes a blurry haze of tears.

My love story was not a love story. It was a life story. A memoir.

And it started with a bang, like everything in life.

It wasn't a small, high-pitched key, played on the far end of the piano, but it was somewhere along the lines of a foghorn in the morning. It wasn't a smooth latte, but a bittersweet shot of espresso. Hot, fast and swift. It wasn't a shy, soft kiss, but a passionate, rough, shove-you-against-the-door experience, with chaste touches and dominating strokes, crumbling our senses apart.

It was a whirlwind adventure from the beginning, a perfect tale of queasy-knees friendship and comrades cavorting about while they drunkenly sang their troubles away to a delicate love story, fragmented in forms of unorchestrated destiny. It was the type of love that was too strange to be true, too bizarre to exist.

But existed it did. Because as much as I've tried to fight it, as much as I had denied emotions and as much as hatred for that boy had burned a million suns, fate had it's hand on the deck of cards numbered with our destiny, and we were predicted to lose, lose our precious dignities and pride but win the total matter of dreams and hearts.

Right now, hearts were breaking all over the world. Some were pulsing from sweet, first loves, some were ricocheting from the corners of dark, submissive romances, and other were just shattering, all in a single file line.

Mine would certainly break. Well, it did. It shattered and bled across the linoleum floor for everyone to see, tumbling from my open chest cavity, dripping guts and desire. 

It was ugly, but real life was ugly. And this was a story about real people, a boy and a girl as common as butter and toast. But that did not mean we couldn't fall in love.

Life wasn't worth breathing without a bit of chaos, a bit of rebellion. I didn't know this- Jem did. Jem, in fact, embraced it. Jem had painted my world in colours of vibrancy, multiples hues of red, blue, green, yellow exploding at every corner of my gaze. Jem had crash-landed into my galaxy, hurtling like a shooting star, and it wasn't clear how the damage could be salvaged until the end.